WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: A question on political correctness...

for

Date: Jul 23, 2012 6:52AM

I have found that just about every term you can use related to disability can offend someone. No matter how innocuous or respectful you think the term is, there is some group of people that may take offense to it.

However, it is not the words that are the problem, but the meanings behind the words.

I don't particularly like the term "the blind", but that is really because the contexts I have seen the word used in have reflected a lack of respect or dignity.

This conversation started with a question about whether or not the term was offensive for a title of a session at SSW. I didn't find it offensive because I know it was being used in a positive way.

That doesn't mean that someone else won't find it offensive. However, if they do, it is most likely because they don't understand the intent behind the words. Typically, in those kinds of situations, I either try to explain my meaning to the person or I change the words I use to communicate better with that person. After all, the words are just the means of communication and not the communication itself. less important than what I want to communicate.