E-mail List Archives
Re: Headings in dialogs.
From: Don Mauck
Date: Aug 22, 2012 1:44PM
- Next message: Ramya Sethuraman: "Re: Headings in dialogs."
- Previous message: David Ashleydale: "Re: Headings in dialogs."
- Next message in Thread: Ramya Sethuraman: "Re: Headings in dialogs."
- Previous message in Thread: David Ashleydale: "Re: Headings in dialogs."
- View all messages in this Thread
Given that misunderstanding on my part, I agree.
From: David Ashleydale [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ]
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:41 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Headings in dialogs.
Don, I think Ramya is saying that the heading is not actually on the page until someone opens the dialog. So there are no H3s when the page loads, but if someone opens the dialogue, then that causes an H3 to be placed in the DOM of the page. But when someone closes the dialogue, the H3 disappears.
Ramya, I don't think there's anything wrong with giving the dialogue an H heading level and having it sometimes be on the page and sometimes not. If it's the "title" of the piece of content that follows it, it should be marked up as a heading. It's always nice to not skip levels and not misorder the H levels, so do that if you can, but my reading of WCAG indicates that if a piece of text truly meets the definition of a heading, it's more important for it to be marked up with an H-something than not.