WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: browsealoud

for

Date: Nov 6, 2002 12:54PM

Rose,

Yes, I have seen ReadPlease (RP) and it is an OK tool IMO. However, it was a standalone piece of software that required users to cut and paste into RP the content they want read. Even cutting and pasting may not be simple for some users. This browsealoud (BA) seems like it work completely in the browser; or at least there is no cutting and pasting involved.

To me BA seems more user-friendly than RP; but they're both free so I guess it matters mostly if your site is built for and used by a certain population. There's never a catchall. Since both are free to the user, what I did was enable my site (www.literacyaccessonline.com) with BA but I also have a little paragraph in the site about how to use RP.

Tony

p.s. if you go to that literacyaccessonline site, it has not been updated with the BA notice and download link yet. I thought it would be by now but apparently the guy who had it to upload wasn't able to do so before he left on a business trip to Korea. It will be there soon though on the first page.
----- Original Message -----
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 12:54 PM
Subject: Re: browsealoud

Hi Tony,

I'm in the process of exploring this option myself. Just to add fuel to the fire, have you seen ReadPlease (www.readplease.com). ReadPlease is helpful to users who are sighted but may have cognitive difficulties with reading digital print.

Rose Vitz
Long Beach, CA

Tony Trott < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

Hi. I'm wondering what people's opinions are about the browsealoud tool from the textHELP company (www.browsealoud.com). It seems very easy to use but I'm not sure how it 'play with' JAWS or Window-Eyes.

What do you all think of browsealoud as a basic, free text-to-speech tool?

Tony Trott

Parent Educational Advocacy Training Center (PEATC)
6320 Augusta Drive, Suite 1200
Springfiel