WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Keyboard Recommendations for Parkinson's

for

Date: Nov 13, 2013 10:50AM

Thanks, this looks promising as well. Great that this list can provide me with choices for my friends.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 4:08 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Keyboard Recommendations for Parkinson's

Hi:

I've seen good results with the Intellikeys keyboard (http://www.intellitools.com/intellikeys.html); the keys on the default layouts are quite large, and an infinity of layouts can be developed, potentially including keys for going directly to favorite websites or the like. It requires about the same amount of pressure as the control panel on a microwave.

Speech recognition might also be an option, but it requires a steady voice, a fairly macho computer, and a good sense of humor.

--Jane Vincent, University of Michigan

To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 10:51 PM
Subject: [WebAIM] Keyboard Recommendations for Parkinson's

Hello,

My HS Wrestling Coach, also an English Professor, was asking me to look into keyboards that may help him out.  He's getting to the point where his movement is causing him to have to correct words frequently, and since he spends a lot of his time editing documents and giving feedback, it's causing him some grief.

I'd appreciate any feedback that you folks have, this is an area of technology that I'm a complete novice with so I'm not sure what developments are out there that would assist him.  My initial searches didn't really find any resources that spoke to this problem specifically.  My thoughts are larger keys and keys that may be a little more grippy, but that's just a guess.

Please let me know any options you'd recommend.  I'd love to hear what people who have experience have to say about this.

Thanks!

Michael