WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Is Accessibility mayonnaise cheese or Bread & Butter ?

for

Date: Jan 21, 2014 11:55AM

I think it is a lot more like bread and butter, especially if upper management needs to consider that "the difference between being proactive and reactive can be about six zeros!
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 10:58 AM
To: webaim-forum
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Is Accessibility mayonnaise cheese or Bread & Butter ?

Couldn't you state that having an accessible site means that you save money on SEO consultation? That should ring bells for upper management, especially if they have videos posted to the site. [You mean that we can include the wording within captions to our search results?!?!]

Joshua Hori
Accessible Technology Analyst
University of California, Davis
Student Disability Center

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Ravindra Kumar Jain
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 11:03 PM
To: webaim-forum
Subject: [WebAIM] Is Accessibility mayonnaise cheese or Bread & Butter ?

Hi Friends,

I guess pretty much everyone in webaim knows what Accessibility Life Cycle / Software Development Life Cycle is.,

A common problem I identified , which I am sure a lot of you too must have faced is that ,

" There is a vast gap between what a client wants and what accessibility services delivers , in a lot of cases accessibility is perhaps nowhere in his agenda , unless it is mandatory "

Few days ago I heard a very interesting thought by someone.

"Accessibility Services is not one of the essential services we offer to our clients , it is not a show stopper. It is like Mayonnaise cheese as a topping over our bread and butter , we offer to our clients as a value added service"

To our subject matter experts in webaim , I throw this question

"Is Accessibility Mayonaise cheese or Bread and Butter " ?

I would like to get answers straight from experience people who have been working in this field.for long time. Let me reframe the above question .

"How can we convince our clients / managers / designers in a much better manner as to why they should implement accessibility from initial stages itself and not superficially " ?

Thanks & Regards,

Ravindra Kumar Jain

Accessibility Engineer

No.02, Second Floor
Sector I, 27th main
HSR Layout
Bangalore - 560 103

Web: www.onyadigital.com