WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Google maps

for

Date: May 19, 2014 12:00PM

Hi William,

Implementation of a "skip map" or a "text directions" link before the map is quite useful for users with motor and sight impairment. Though this specific example is not cited in the WCAG 2.0 Technique G123 for Criterion 2.4.1 (Bypass Blocks), I think you are spot on! http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20140408/G123

Valorie Sundby

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2014 8:45 PM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List'
Subject: [WebAIM] Google maps

Good afternoon.
I have a site that I want to add a google map to.
I have already added the jQuery div replacement so that each of the clickable element on that map have a title tag, however....
In listening with NVDA, it is 'cumbersome' to hear the map details each time.
Is it considered good practice to add a 'skip map' link in the content right before the map and hide it like we would with a 'skip navigation' link?

I was thinking that this would make it easier for people using a screen reader to skip the elements if they choose as well as have a link for keyboard only users to skip all of those tabstops.

Please let me know if I am on the right track here.

Thanks,
William

[mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Léonie Watson
Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2014 2:29 AM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List'
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Inclusive Design 24, by The Paciello Group for GAAD

Alastair Campbell wrote:
"The Mac IRC client "Textual" is reasonably good with VoiceOver - I checked with Josh de Lioncourt (@Lioncourt) and that was the recommendation from the Maccessibility podcast."

Thanks Alastair. Sounds like IRC could be a reasonably "all round" option next time, with some helpful "how to" info etc.

Léonie.

--
@LeonieWatson Carpe diem

[mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Alastair Campbell
Sent: 17 May 2014 22:04
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Inclusive Design 24, by The Paciello Group for GAAD

The Mac IRC client "Textual" is reasonably good with VoiceOver - I checked with Josh de Lioncourt (@Lioncourt) and that was the recommendation from the Maccessibility podcast.

-Alastair