WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Does an accessible video player that works correctly in all major browsers exist?

for

Date: Jun 3, 2014 3:42PM

Hi Gary,

I would like to ask - maybe for the sake of a discussion… - : if a video player is fully screen reader enabled - wouldn't that be sufficient for speech based assistive technology to get its job done?

The screen reader's text to speech could read the labels of user interface controls, speech commands could be used to actuate a user interface control while it is the focus of the current selection.

Youtube can have a transcript for a video - a screen reader's text to speech could read this out aloud.

The screen reader itself would obviously have to be speech driven.

Just thinking aloud…

Olaf

On 3 Jun 2014, at 23:04, "Morin, Gary (NIH/OD) [E]" < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

> Please don't forget that an accessible video or multimedia player should (must/shall?) also be usable with speech recognition software, which for example means that I need to be able to know what the code or spoken command is for each of the player actions (e.g., Start, Stop, Fast-Forward, Increase Or Decrease Volume, Repeat, etc.) the icons either need to be labeled with the text or the needs to be a legend someplace easy to find on the screen. Some of the user speech recognition software is typically sighted , not using keyboard, and probably not using the mouse either. Therefore it is impractical to assume that they can mouse over an image or an icon in order to see what word appears underneath it or at the bottom of the screen or in the command line. For example, if I see it right handed arrow, what I say "click forward" or "click play". On a YouTube video, I haven't a clue as to what to tell the player to Skip Ad.
>
> The player also needs to incorporate Audio-Description - by allowing selection of the AD versus the non-AD version, turn on the AD (if there is 'closed AD'),
>
> http://www.howto.gov/social-media/video/508-compliant-video-guide
>
> Has anyone tried the Workshop http://www.theworkshop.co.uk/project/accessible-video-player?
>