WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Legacy content recommendation

for

Date: Aug 27, 2014 6:09AM

Just for the sake of choice, I'll offer a couple other approaches.

1. Remove all the old content. If it is important enough to add back, then make it accessible. With as large as the site sounds, I'm guessing that there isn't just one small group responsible for creating all the content out there. So, remove the old content and have the other content creators recreate it if it is really needed. The side benefit is that it would motivate them to update their content if it is needed.

2. Update only the frequently used old content. Chances are that, if they can't get rid of all the old content, their users are probably still using some of it. So instead of taking an all or nothing approach, fix some of the frequently used content.

3. This approach is probably implied by the suggestions others have made. If old content is updated at all, then it is made accessible when it is next updated. As long as it is left alone, no work is required.

I definitely would suggest you familiarize yourself with the conformance criteria in WCAG 2.0 if you are looking to make a conformance claim or you are considering having someone certify the site. Familiarity with the conformance criteria as well as the way people use the site might give you additional ideas for how to handle this situation.

Thanks!
Tim