WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: How can a government agency equate compliance or accessibility to dollars?

for

Date: Mar 25, 2015 9:03AM

> I think that equating dollars to success/failure may be the way to go in this particular environment. Do you have any suggestions on how that can be done?

The US Access Board commissioned a regulatory assessment as part of the Section 508 refresh. You may find some items in there to get you started. Many of the benefits to society and the impact on ICT outside of the government are hard to quantify but are real.

http://www.access-board.gov/guidelines-and-standards/communications-and-it/about-the-ict-refresh/preliminary-regulatory-impact-analysis#h5

Jonathan

-- 
Jonathan Avila 
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group 
<EMAIL REMOVED>
Phone 703.637.8957  
Follow us: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Blog | Newsletter

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Meacham, Steve - FSA, Kansas City, MO
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 10:36 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: [WebAIM] How can a government agency equate compliance or accessibility to dollars?

Government §508 projects, such as standing up automation support for testing, or making any other sort of costly, time consuming, or non-trivial change, seems to take forever and/or never reach completion. Such projects get peoples' "spare time" and even "spare people." My theory is that §508 isn't typically considered "mission-oriented," so it is seemingly overlooked, ignored, or de-prioritized.

I'm looking for a way to communicate the urgency and necessity to others to a cross-functional project team. I think that equating dollars to success/failure may be the way to go in this particular environment. Do you have any suggestions on how that can be done?