WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Captioning Verbatim or for Corrected English

for

Date: Mar 9, 2016 1:48PM

Hi Guy,

This is an interesting question. On the one hand, it is distracting to have the bad grammar. On the other, editing it out may change the tone of the event/discussion and give an impression that would not otherwise have been given. It's a fine line. The measure, I think, is imparting the information, not deciding what's harder or easier to understand. All has to be done with the utmost care to ensure that the "important information" is provided. I.e. "an old faded brick house stands on a street with tall old trees which are not well trimmed and unmown yards" is important in a description of a neighborhood in a movie, but not necessarily in a conference discussing the proceedings which occurred inside that house. My concern and caution, is that the measure isn't what will be easier for the recipient of the information, but what will import the most pertinent information. To me, bad grammar and stumbling over words is an indication of either a lack of education, or a lack of care and attention to one's speech. Both can speak volumes about a person in the right setting.

JMO .