WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: WAI documentsPDFs: Logical Reading Order and Tags

for

Date: Jun 6, 2016 9:09AM

Personally i have given up on the Articles Panel years ago. I found that if I had the help file open, it worked moderately well. Trying again a short time later, I usually ended up with failure. However using the Structure panel, which seems to be frowned upon now, I can get reliable results every time.

Ryan

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 3, 2016, at 09:51, Chagnon | PubCom < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> You can use InDesign's articles panel to sequence text and graphic frames into an order of some sorts, but it only works on very short documents.
>
> If you have a document longer than 1 page where one text thread continues onto successive pages, the Articles panel won't be much help because of how that panel sequences the items in it.
>
> Example: My main story thread stretches across 10 pages and I put it in the Articles Panel. Then, if I add a sidebar on page 2 and add it to the Articles Panel, InDesign places the sidebar after the entire main story thread, that is, after page 10 is voiced out.
>
> There are better ways to achieve the correct reading from InDesign. The Articles Panel can be helpful for short documents--very short documents. But for most normal projects done in InDesign, it's not useful at all. I teach my students and clients when it's useful, and then to not bother with it at all for other projects.
>
> --Bevi Chagnon
> PubCom.com
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Sophie Schuermans
> Sent: Friday, June 3, 2016 3:22 AM
> To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] WAI documents Re: PDFs: Logical Reading Order and Tags
>
> Hi,
>
> To obtain a logical reading order, your tags need to be in the right order.
> To achieve that you can use the article pane in Indesign. This is described in this white paper and works fine:
> http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/indesign/pdfs/indesign-cs55-accessibility-whitepaper.pdf
> Look for 'Establish a reading order with the Articles panel'.
> This document also explains how to map the paragraph styles to PDF tags (look for 'Add Export Tagging').
>
> Best regards,
>
> Sophie
>
>
> > > >