WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Modal close button not focusable; ESC works

for

Date: Jun 22, 2016 3:39PM

> Would love to read any thoughts you folks might have. Feel free to post here, or on the issue itself.

If in focus mode -- NVDA may turn off focus mode when escape is pressed. I haven't tested this with the particular implementation -- but the fact that it uses escape could be problematic if escape doesn't close the dialog. It could also go the other way the user may expect to turn off focus mode and may dismiss the dialog by accident. Something to look into.

The other possibility might be with mobile where there is no escape button on the on-screen keyboard -- but it's possible that the close button may still be usable on mobile even if it is not in the focus order -- so that may not be an air tight argument either.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group 
<EMAIL REMOVED>
703.637.8957 (Office)

Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin | Blog
Check out our Digital Accessibility Webinars!

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Aaron Cannon
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 4:28 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: [WebAIM] Modal close button not focusable; ESC works

Hi all.

Recently a coworker filed this issue on the TinyMCE Editor:

https://github.com/tinymce/tinymce/issues/3014

The issue is that the close button on a modal dialog is not reachable via the keyboard, but the escape key will close the dialog. My feeling is that this is not sufficient, but I didn't have much luck coming up with a good reason.

Would love to read any thoughts you folks might have. Feel free to post here, or on the issue itself.

Aaron