WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: JAWS, NVDA, and Captivate

for

Date: Aug 11, 2016 6:46AM

I'd recommend the latter as it will work for both screen readers especially that the content is static and not dynamic.

I am a JAWS user and don't know NVDA's shortcut keys to use it. I am also an average computer user. I don't want to learn a new screen reader just to have accessibility on that government web site.

I was taught how to use JAWS and that's all I know. Yes, NVDA is open source, but I would have to learn a new set of keyboard instructions to read with it.

Ethically and legally your government agency is violating both in my opinion. Yes, by law they are supposed to provide accessibility, but not constraint the user to one screen reader only. What if I am a Mac user and do not have Windows?

The other issue I am confused about is why is it working with NVDA and not JAWS and VoiceOver? Something in the markup is not proper. I just showed an example to Angela regarding radio buttons last evening. It showed how one type of markup worked for both JAWS and NVDA, while the other type only worked for NVDA. So are you using the proper semantic?