WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Letter accessibility

for

Date: Aug 21, 2016 1:53PM

Aren't you conflating display characteristics with semantic tagging?
The styling you suggest is rather old fashioned. And not necessarily eye-catching.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: "Jamous, JP" < <EMAIL REMOVED> > Date: 8/14/16 4:09 PM (GMT-05:00) To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> > Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Letter accessibility
For the company name, I would:

Center it
Bold it
Set it at 18PT font

You want the company name to be an eye catcher.

Use your heading 1 for an important section in your table of contents. For example,

H1: Accessibility Audit
H2: WCAG Evaluation
H3: Large View
H3: Small view
H2: Usability Report
H3: Large View
H3: Small View

As I always suggest, there should not be a need for more than 4 levels unless you are dealing with a heavily nested scientific table of contents.
-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Jim Homme
Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2016 3:03 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Letter accessibility

Hi Lisa,

I would not give the company name a heading style. Heading styles are meant for section headings. You might want to use the  Heading style. That's different from heading with a number.

=========
Jim Homme,
Accessibility Consultant, Web developer, Bender HighTest Team, Bender Consulting Services, inc.
412-787-8567,
<EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >,
http://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-accessible-technology-solutions

On Aug 14, 2016, at 3:52 PM, L Snider < <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >> wrote:

Hi Jim,

The issue that I was musing about was in the letter, where if you are lucky you have a 'RE' section, which could be given a heading (and rarely do you have a company name up top to give a heading to)... If you don't even have the 'RE:' then the address could be styled, but there would be no other headings as letters don't usually have sections. That is the issue I have been working on the most, and I am wondering what others do with letters that don't have anything major to make into a heading.

Contracts are different, because they usually have good things to use headings on-except at the top where you have the 'X and X go into a contract'. That is way too long usually for an H1, and with legal you can't change the way it is structured.

I wish they were more like reports, but almost always they aren't!

Cheers

Lisa

On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 2:12 PM, Jim Homme < <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >> wrote:

Hi Lisa,
FFor the sake of argument, let me assume Microsoft Word.

The title of the document would use the Title style.

I would then apply headings using the Heading 1 style for each major section, and then use Heading 2 through the necessary level of heading style. If you think the document will ever be converted to the web, avoid levels 7 and higher.

Once you have the headings in place, go back through and use the multi-level list, rather than typing in the numbers by hand. Word has numbering schemes for various document types.

Then, if your document requires a table of contents, put your curser where you want it to go, right click or SHIfT+F10, and choose the automatic table of contents entry.

For the addressing part of the letter, I think there is the Address style, but I'd have to check that.

Hope that helps.

Jim

=========
Jim Homme,
Accessibility Consultant, Web developer, Bender HighTest Team, Bender Consulting Services, inc.
412-787-8567,
<EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ><mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >,
http://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-
accessible-technology-solutions

On Aug 14, 2016, at 3:04 PM, L Snider < <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ><mailto:lsni
<EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >>> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I have been thinking about this one for a while, and wanted to hear how you approach this one.

To make reports, and the like, accessible is pretty straightforward.
However, when working with a letter, do you use styled headings?

In some letters, I can see making the RE: line a heading (H2) and maybe even the company name if it is in text at the top (H1). Do you do this?

Also for contracts, I can see the sub titles in a contract styled into headings, but most of them have the 'this is a contract between X and X', do you make that into an H1? Do you do this?

Thanks in advance! Curious to know what everyone does for these kinds of docs!

Cheers

Lisa
<EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >>