WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Using iPhone and iPad with VoiceOver - comparing apples toapples?

for

Date: Aug 22, 2016 8:54AM

> In addition, the gestures used for navigating through the <select> input's options differed on the devices. On the iPhone, swiping up moves focus to the next option. On the iPad, swiping to the right was required to navigate to the next option.

That's because they are different controls. Do to the size of the iPhone screen a native picker with rotor feature is used for combo boxes -- since it's a picker with rotor up/down arrows are used. On ipad a larger picker wouldn't make sense so there is a modal with roleless items available to choose from-- since it's not a picker you use standard left and right swipes.

Jon

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group
<EMAIL REMOVED>
703.637.8957 (Office)
Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin | Blog
Check out our Digital Accessibility Webinars!

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Marc Solomon
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2016 12:00 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: [WebAIM] Using iPhone and iPad with VoiceOver - comparing apples to apples?

To the mobile accessibility gurus on this list,

I recently came across an example where the user experience of interacting with a particular web form was substantially different between an iPhone and iPad Air. This form has three <select> inputs. On the iPhone (iOS 9.3.3), you can use VoiceOver to interact with the first <select> input with no issue. But, the second and third <select> inputs while announced could not be activated. When I tested the same form using an iPad Air (same iOS version as iPhone), I didn't have any issues with the second and third <select> inputs.

In addition, the gestures used for navigating through the <select> input's options differed on the devices. On the iPhone, swiping up moves focus to the next option. On the iPad, swiping to the right was required to navigate to the next option.

Has anyone experienced this type of inconsistency between an iPhone and iPad on the same web page? Is there a reason why the VoiceOver gesture interaction is different for <select>/pop up button inputs?

Thanks,
Marc