WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Displaying Content based on previous selection

for

Date: Sep 27, 2016 3:11PM

Nick,

That was exactly my concern. Those 2 SC keep coming up with the UX team. They are not strong enough for me to make my case.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Beranek, Nicholas
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 3:32 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Displaying Content based on previous selection

It's always difficult to call out SC 3.2.1 On Focus and SC 3.2.2 On Input because "change of context" is not well-defined. Can you argue that this behavior creates "content that changes the meaning of the Web page"? If so, then call out SC 3.2.1 On Focus.

This behavior is going to be confusing for everyone.

Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of JP Jamous
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 2:10 PM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] Displaying Content based on previous selection

Guys and Gals,

I am wondering if this violates any of level A or AA of WCAG 2.0, as I would fail it for 3.2.2 if it were up to me.

We have a survey form that the user is redirected to after a chat session.
Some UX genius asked the developers to ask one question on page load. So you only get one question when the page loads without a submit button. Only the question and 5 radio buttons.

Once one of those radio buttons is selected, the rest of the form is displayed without a page refresh. The user sees or reads with a SR the rest of the questions and submit the form.

I think this violates Level A SC 3.2.2 Elements do not change on focus. In this sense, when a radio button receives the focus, the elements on the page appear. What do you guys think?