WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Accessibility of + and -

for

Date: Dec 7, 2016 9:33AM

Mike, yes your authors can insert true Unicode Roman numerals into the chapter headings. Instead of typing XI (English language letters on their keyboard, type 216A and then Alt+X keys. That will insert the true Roman numeral for eleven.

And this Microsoft keyboard shortcut works in MS Outlook and MS PowerPoint, too.

If you use Unicode for Roman numerals, it will be correct, per se. Unicode 2160 through 217F. Here is the set of Unicode Roman Numerals for those reading this with screen readers. Not sure if generic email will recognize them, and most of our screen readers have not accommodated enough of the Unicode character set into their software. In other words, it's dicey whether a particular screen reader will recognize them correctly, here in this email or in any other media.

Capitals: Ⅰ Ⅱ Ⅲ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ Ⅺ Ⅻ Ⅼ Ⅽ Ⅾ Ⅿ
Lower Case:ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ â…· ⅸ ⅹ ⅺ ⅻ ⅼ ⅽ ⅾ ⅿ ⅿ

If I was a screen reader user, I would be lobbying the software manufacturers to get the basic Unicode characters into their software and that includes STEM symbols, dingbats/ornaments used for bullets, roman numerals, circled/decorative numbers, and of course extended punctuation.

A few years ago, a business partner was having trouble with her personal bank account. She was legally blind and used a screen reader to access her bank statements online. She asked me to help and the problem was very clear to me: she had a negative amount in her bank account, but she couldn't see that...all she heard was $100, not minus $100. Of course, the bank's website used a hyphen, not a Unicode minus sign.

Unfortunately, she became ill and passed away before she could finish filing an ADA complaint with DOJ, but at least the bank refunded the overdraft charges.

--Bevi Chagnon

- - -
Bevi Chagnon | www.PubCom.com
Technologists, Consultants, Trainers, Designers, and Developers
for publishing & communication
| Acrobat PDF | Print | EPUBS | Sec. 508 Accessibility |
- - -