WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: iframe Video

for

Date: Dec 9, 2016 8:08AM

JP, I think what you are asking is an iFrame considered an embedded part of a web page and thus you do not need to follow requirements to set the title element and lang of the page -- or is a frame considered a separate web page. It is my understanding from reading the definition of web page in WCAG 2 that an iframe would likely be considered embedded part of the parent web page and thus as such you would not need to treat it likely a separate page.

Web page
a non-embedded resource obtained from a single URI using HTTP plus any other resources that are used in the rendering or intended to be rendered together with it by a user agent
Note 1: Although any "other resources" would be rendered together with the primary resource, they would not necessarily be rendered simultaneously with each other.
Note 2: For the purposes of conformance with these guidelines, a resource must be "non-embedded" within the scope of conformance to be considered a Web page.
http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/conformance.html#uc-web-page-head

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group 
<EMAIL REMOVED>
703.637.8957 (Office)

Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog
Don't miss Trends in Accessibility & Electronic Documents on Wed 12/7!

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of JP Jamous
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2016 9:57 AM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List'
Subject: [WebAIM] iframe Video

Folks,

I have a 3rd party video player embedded in a page using a frame. I have the below questions to get your thoughts on them.

1. Should the page inside the frame have <html lang="en-us"> or is it
okay if we leave that alone? Of course, it is being flagged as an error.

2. Should the same page have a title element in the head element? That
title element is being read by screen readers as the frame title. I was unable to mask it with <iframe title="Some Text">.

3. Of course, the developers added tabindex of 1 and higher to the
buttons in the video player. I have not tested this, but it should be safe to remove those and let the browser assign them. The order should remain as page links, video buttons, page links.

Thanks.