WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Mapping findings to WCAG

for

Date: Jan 1, 2017 1:27PM

I'll add a bit to Birkir's recommendations based on experience. See my answers after Birkir's.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Birkir R. Gunnarsson
Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2016 9:49 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Mapping findings to WCAG

Hi
1. The form field is missing an accessible name (4.1.2). If it is also missing a visible label it fails 3.3.2, if it has a visible label but the label is not connected with the field it is failing 1.3.1.
2. I don't see that this fails a WCAG success criterion, sounds like a Jaws issue.
#2 is correct. Take a look at the markup. I had a third party survey app that was behaving that way. The coders decided to add a role type to the textarea. That created issues with JAWS.

3. You can say it is a best practice under 2.4.4, but 2.4.4 only requires that link text uniquely identifies the purpose of each link, alone or together with its programmatic context.
It clearly fails if there are two links pointing to different webpages with the text "here" and nothing to tell them apart (if they re in different paragraphs, sentences, have title elements etc. it is sufficient, just not great).
For the "opens in new window" I'd recommend the author puts that in the link's title attribute, not in the link text itself. Again, that is a screen reader best practice recommendation, not a WCAG violation.

I like the Opens in New Window to be implemented through CSS as they do on the WebAIM site. It is best to have it announced after the link label. When I hit a link I want to be able to read what its label is as I may ignore "Opens in New Window" if I am browsing fast.

HTH

somehow pro

On 12/31/16, Vemaarapu Venkatesh < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
> Hello all, Greetings!
>
> I am running usability test pass on a web app and I have come across
> few confusions while mapping issues to WCAG 2.0 Any WCAG Success
> Criteria associated with the following points?
>
> 1. When I focus to an edit field JAWS is not announcing the edit field
> though it is focused.
> 2. In other edit field unable to read typed text in the edit field
> using arrow keys.
> 3. The link text of some links is very long where I think user
> frustrates listening to these long links. The information present in
> link text is also available in the destination after following the
> links. Also for all these links the starting phrase in the link text is given as "Opens new dialog".
> I think this phrase has to be included as the last phrase in the link text.
> Can I fail these two scenarios under WCAG 2.4.4
>
> Need Clarification. Thank you.
>
> Thanks,
> Venkatesh
> > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >

--
Work hard. Have fun. Make history.