WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Query on Text resizing (1.4.4)

for

Date: May 4, 2017 5:56AM

> Just wondering, with responsive design, do we automatically meet 1.4.4? Or, does 1.4.4 talk specifically about scaling of the content irrespective of the design?

Responsive design should be about creating fluid layouts and often doesn't result in text that is 200% larger. Thus, SC 1.4.4 is still applicable. For example, I use lower resolution and often get the responsive version of a site on my desktop. While the text may be larger on some sites others it is not and I may choose to sometimes zoom from that point to increase the size of text and content.

When the user uses browser zoom it not only changes the width of the viewport but also the scale of the content. The scale adds the size increase beyond the natural breakpoint that would be triggered by the viewport width becoming smaller.

Some sites can be created poorly resulting in text that actually gets smaller as you zoom in because the container widths get smaller. One could argue that these sites are not truly responsive and not fluid -- but they may apply the concepts but in an incorrect manner.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group 
<EMAIL REMOVED>
703.637.8957 (Office)

Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog
Download our CSUN Presentations Here!

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Bhaskarjyoti Hazarika
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2017 12:57 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: [WebAIM] Query on Text resizing (1.4.4)

Hi Folks,

Just wondering, with responsive design, do we automatically meet 1.4.4? Or, does 1.4.4 talk specifically about scaling of the content irrespective of the design?

--
Thanks & Regards,
*Bhaskar*
Bhaskarjyoti Hazarika,
** : <EMAIL REMOVED> < <EMAIL REMOVED> >* Bangalore
)*:* +9197423 93297(M)