WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Form font sizes

for

Date: Jul 14, 2017 10:49AM

We (our new accessibility unit) are requiring our state agency to change the way they create forms to ensure accessibility. Currently they use font sizes down to 8 and 6 on the forms to ensure they fit onto a certain page count. I recommended we use our agency standard for print documents (Arial 12 - with the ability to go to 11 to have letters fit on one page) on forms. So basically no smaller than 11.

This is causing some forms to increase page count, and this is leading to increased printing costs. Some forms are 25+ pages now, and with increased font size some people in high places are now becoming very interested in our new policy.

I'd be interested to know what is the minimum font sizes people in this email group use/mandate/allow in your agencies/companies. I want to know if demanding 11 point font minimum is a reasonable request or if smaller font sizes would be reasonable in the case of forms. I will be going into meetings soon to discuss this and just wanted to have some other opinions from here to know if this is a hill to die on :)

Thanks,

Joe Krack