WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Mouse-only interactive line chart + same data in table format = sufficient?

for

Hi Rob and Steve,

Glad to hear that this is of interest.

Steve: Adding the module to existing charts is a very simple task. It is supported from Highcharts 5 onwards. You should ideally use the version of the module that corresponds to your Highcharts version to avoid conflicts (e.g. http://code.highcharts.com/5.0.2/modules/accessibility.js <http://code.highcharts.com/5.0.2/modules/accessibility.js>; for v5.0.2). We recommend a minimum of adding a longdesc to each chart by setting the "chart.description" option, but there is no mandatory configuration to make the module work. For more complex charts, some configuration might of course be necessary for optimal behavior.

Rob: It would be great to get some more feedback from the fintech sector on their needs around accessible charts. Charts with many data points present a particular challenge we need to solve in an elegant way. We are so far experimenting with adding modalities like sonification and export to tactile graphics, but I am sure there are other angles to explore as well.

Best regards,
Øystein Moseng
Core Developer
Highsoft AS
@oysteinmoseng

> On 29 Nov 2017, at 19:42, <EMAIL REMOVED> wrote:
>
>
> Hi Øystein,
>
> I agree with Steve, this is good news and we're passing this info on to our vendor.
>
> This is a very big deal for the fintech sector in Canada, especially the banks, who as you can imagine have some very complex needs around charts.
>
> Rob C
>
>
>> On Nov 28, 2017, at 11:41 AM, Steve Green < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>>
>> Hi Øystein,
>>
>> This is really good news. A few of our clients use Highcharts and it has been quite a challenge to make the data accessible. I will let them know that the Accessibility module is now available. Is it a simple addition for existing implementations of your charts?
>>
>> Steve Green
>> Managing Director
>> Test Partners Ltd
>>
>>