WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Link vs Button for "Cancel"

for

Date: Jan 9, 2018 7:04AM

>>>>>>Personally, I have a feeling that normal people (people who are not technologists like us) do not have such a technical view of links vs.
buttons.

I support the "acts like a link = link, acts like a button = button" practice. I also tend to walk on the right in hallways, go through the right hand door, etc. I don't know if other people do this consciously or not, but I do see a significant percentage of people doing the same thing (I'm in the US, btw). I'm sure there are people to whom this doesn't occur (non-technologists, so to speak), but in general I think this is a good way to ensure foot traffic flow. Whether or not it is universally understood, the link/button practice is logical and will, worst case scenario, benefit those who are aware of it. Best case scenario, it will become universally accepted and will be a logical and useful practice, whereas assigning roles randomly will never provide any added benefit.

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.