E-mail List Archives

Re: JAWS cannot handle complex table

for

Date: Mar 28, 2018 6:51AM

Have you experimented with JAWS2018?

Respectfully,
Stephen Guerra, President
Guerra Access Technology Training LLC
Blind, Low-Vision and Deaf-Blind Authorized State of Minnesota Vendor for Technology Training

Contact by phone, Guerra Access Technology Training LLC, 507.722.2864
Email Guerra Access Technology Training LLC
Visit Guerra Access Technology Training on the Web

Disclaimer:
The Information contained within this correspondence is solely the property of Guerra Access Technology Training LLC (GATT).
This message may contain confidential information and should not be distributed without the written consent of Guerra access Technology Training LLC.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Alan Zaitchik
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 6:58 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] JAWS cannot handle complex table

I have some "irregular" tables in a PDF, of a rather simple nature, which JAWS is not reading correctly.
Each table has 4 columns and 5 rows. (In this email let's call each cell r1c1, r1c2,..., r2c1, r2c2,..., etc. for row 1-col 1, row 1-col 2, ..., row 2-col 1, row 2-col 2,..., and so on.) The first row is the header row, and each TH has scope=column. The next 4 rows contain just data cells, but (here's the catch) there is only one data cell in column 3 and one data cell in column 4 because each of these TD cells spans all the remaining 4 rows of data cells in columns 1 and 2. That is, r2c3 has a row span of 4, and r2c4 has a row span of 4.
No matter what I do, JAWS (v16) does not read the data cell r2c3 nor the cell r2c4 when it reads rows 3,4, and 5 of the table. It does, however, correctly read the cells r2c3 and r2c4 when it reads row 2.
I have tried fixing this in Acrobat-- both using scope as well as indexed headers-- to no avail. I have also tried setting this up in CommonLook PDF Global Access using their table tools, again trying both using scope as well as indexed headers, also to no avail. NVDA was able to handle the table without a problem, but I need it to work well in JAWS.
Any suggestions?
Alan