WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: E-Learning accessibility testing -- resources needed

for

Date: Oct 23, 2018 8:32AM

The developer is wrong - you should treat e-learning courses the same as any other website or web-based application unless there is a contract or requirements document that specifies otherwise. As such, there should not be any resources specifically for testing e-learning courses.

When assessing the success criteria, it's irrelevant whether non-compliances can be fixed or not - a failure is a failure.

In your example of the definition, it's not obvious to me that this is necessarily a "reading order" non-compliance, although it might be.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Dona Patrick
Sent: 23 October 2018 15:18
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] E-Learning accessibility testing -- resources needed

Good Morning,

I'm being asked, more and more often, to test the accessibility of e-learning courses. I've been treating them like Web applications which have turned up many accessibility issues but the developers are pushing back saying I cannot treat them like Web sites or applications.

For example one module has links that open small HTML windows that define the word that was the link. I'd expect the next down arrow to take me to the definition, but it takes a few down arrows to get to the definition. I have failed this for "reading order". The developer tells me that it is impossible to fix because of the software they are using.

Another example is the fact that there is no way to hide extraneous text from a screen reader while using the arrow keys. So an image might have text which is read out of context after or before the alt text is read for an image. This seems wrong to me.

Can anyone provide me a resource for how to test e-learning courses for accessibility?

Thanks,

Dona