WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: PDF Association - New version of Tagged PDF Best Practice Guide: Styles released this week!

for

Date: Jun 13, 2019 11:09AM

Well then, a warm and heartfelt thanks to the Technical Working Group
and others who helped put this together.

And an additional apology for misnaming it by using "Styles" instead of
"Syntax" in the subtitle - too much CSS in my head these days. The
proper name should be:
Tagged PDF Best Practice Guide: Syntax

I look forward to the best practice Tagging guidance in the future.

> Heh… I've been maxed out, and so barely had time to post it, much less
> promote it!
I think you'll find that a document like this will rapidly promote itself!

Cheers.

Phil.

On 2019-06-13 12:55, Duff Johnson wrote:
> Hi Philip,
>
> Heh… I've been maxed out, and so barely had time to post it, much less promote it! :-/
>
> First, and most importantly, I want to give full credit to the many members of the PDF Association's PDF/UA Technical Working Group who engaged in dozens of meetings over several years to develop this content. They volunteer their time to help extend PDF's promise of interoperability beyond the rendered page; we are grateful for their efforts.
>
> Documents like this are never finished. There are many areas that could stand improvement, and feedback is welcome! As stated on the download page, those wishing to comment may email their concerns to <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >… and of course, software developers and other technical experts are invited to join the PDF Association to help us continue this work.
>
> The labor continues; the PDF/UA TWG is now working on a complementary document providing guidance on best practice in tagging (as opposed to syntax). Other initiatives are also underway, including development of a set of canonical examples of correctly-tagged PDF.
> ≠
> All the best… and enjoy!
>
> Duff.
>
>> On Jun 13, 2019, at 12:32, Philip Kiff < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>>
>> Earlier this week, apparently, the PDF Association quietly released a new (and in my opinion, dramatically updated!) version of their Tagged PDF Best Practice Guide: Styles document:
>> https://www.pdfa.org/resource/tagged-pdf-best-practice-guide-syntax/ <https://www.pdfa.org/resource/tagged-pdf-best-practice-guide-syntax/>
>> Public note to Duff Johnson: Hopefully by sharing this on the WebAIM list, I'm not stealing too much of your thunder about the new release. Sorry. But it's been up for *days*, and I just found out about it now!
>>
>> A quick scan tells me that this is a super useful document that will be a critical resource in my PDF reference material. In fact, I need to share this immediately with some folks I work with who will soon be compiling an internal set of best practices for tagging PDFs. Good news can't wait!
>>
>> Phil.
>> Philip Kiff
>> D4K Communications
>>
> > > >