WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: what to do in scenario where you have two sets of tabs in each direction?

for

Date: Jul 22, 2019 1:23PM

This design sounds like it is effectively the same as Miller Columns, which are nested tablists. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_columns

My expectation is that both Miller Columns and your design will be incomprehensible to people who cannot see them, even if they are marked-up perfectly. Perhaps the most highly experienced screen reader users would be able to understand it, but the other 99% won't.

We have started doing internal research with screen reader users and I will include an example of Miller Columns in our next session on Friday to see if my suspicions are supported. I would love to hear if anyone else has done user testing on Miller Columns or any form of nested tablists.

I don't understand why your developer thinks this would be difficult to implement unless he is using a particular JavaScript framework that makes it difficult.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Farough, David (CFP/PSC)
Sent: 22 July 2019 19:58
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] what to do in scenario where you have two sets of tabs in each direction?

First set of tabs horizontal across top of application; Next in tab sequence A second set of vertical tabs in side navigation which selects content based on selection from top tabs; Next in tab sequence the main content based on selection from content selected from both sets of tabs

How to do this so that it will be obvious to users.

I suggested using either a toolbar with buttons, or a horizontal menu structure for the top navigation.

The developer indicates that this would be difficult to implement.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

David Farough
Application Accessibility Co-ordinator
Information Technology Services Directorate Public Service Commission of Canada / Government of Canada <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> > / Tel: 819-420-8418