WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Perceivable screen changes in SPAs

for

Date: Oct 20, 2019 7:27AM

Hello,

I found this article to be quite useful on understanding different approaches.
What we learned from user testing of accessible client-side routing techniques with Fable Tech Labs | GatsbyJSaddress edit text has alternate items Search or enter website name
By: Marcy Sutton <https://www.gatsbyjs.org/contributors/marcy-sutton/>

https://www.gatsbyjs.org/blog/2019-07-11-user-testing-accessible-client-routing/

She not only discusses how they set up testing, but also how it different approaches helped different clients. I believe the final approach was to focus on a div containing the new content causing the screen reader to read it. My main issue with this approach as a primary JAWS user, is that JAWS expects focus to be set on a control and not on content, so Braille display and visual Virtual cursor tracking usually remain on the first line of that DIV even while speech reads the entire thing.

Best Wishes,
Jonathan

> On Oct 17, 2019, at 12:57 PM, Brian Lovely via WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> For a desktop Single Page Application, (where there are not really page
> refreshes, just changes of content), nothing announces when the view
> changes. The one I'm looking at they actually do update the page title, but
> I hear nothing.
>
> What's the best way of handling this? Will the title announce if focus is
> placed on the document? Should they place focus on each view's top level
> heading (and hope each view has one)? ...or something else?
>
> --
> *Brian Lovely*
> Capital One Digital Accessibility
> 804.389.1064
>
> >
>
>
> The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.
>
>
>
> > > >