WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: PDF files crushes with screen readers

for

Date: Mar 9, 2020 2:44PM

Hi, there could be an invalid tag structure causing the issue. You could try checking the document for a valid structure using a tool like AxesQuick fix (if you have access to it) or you could use the validation features found in the Preflight features of Adobe Acrobat Pro or using the tag tree and accessiblity checking tools in Acrobat. Sometimes the tag structure has to be remove to address some corruption issues -- but ideally you would fix any issues in InDesign and export back to PDF to address the situation and keep those exported tags.

Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Eilana Benish
Sent: Monday, March 9, 2020 4:07 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] PDF files crushes with screen readers

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Hello all,

today I have received a PDF file with 90 pages. The purpose was to help to evaluate the Accessibility of that file .

the file was created on Adobe InDesign.

the problem is when I opened the file, the file immediately closed .

but, when turning off screen readers such JAWS and NVDA , there was no problem opening the file and navigate through the pages .

I am using the last versions of Windows 10, Adobe DC Pro and NVDA and JAWS screen readers.

I didn't ask the author of this PDF which version of Adobe InDesign he used to create this document And I am wondering if this information is needed

so, I am wondering what could be the problem? What causes PDF file to crash when using assistive technology and in this case screen readers ?

thanks in advance

--

*ובכבוד רב | **Sincerely,*

*אילנה בניש מורשה נגישות שירות 2200 | **Eilana Benish, service Accessibility authorized (2200) *

*ניהול פרויקטים – נגישות ושמישות אינטרנט וטכנולוגיות מידע * *| **Projects manager – Accessibility & usability on internet and ICT* <https://adn-accesstime.com/2019/02/06/ai-ונגישות/>
*📱 +972-50-7100367 | 📧 ** <EMAIL REMOVED> * < <EMAIL REMOVED> >