WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: PDF tag for title

for

Date: Sep 10, 2020 11:24AM

Hi Derek,
Tagging the title of the document in a <Title> tag, and role mapping to <P> is one current recommendation for how to handle titles in documents. The other, as you mentioned, is to tag it as an H1 and go from there.
That said, currently, there's no support for using a <Title> tag so processors can really only treat it like a paragraph (as it's role mapped). However, in the next version of the PDF standard (ISO 32000-2) there will be support for the <Title> tag. Then, in PDF-2 documents, you could remove the role mapping and assistive technologies (that conform to PDF-2 "rules") will be able to correctly handle the <Title> tag.
I hope that helps,
Paul

Paul Rayius
Director of Training at CommonLook
Address 1600 Wilson Blvd., Suite 1010, Arlington, VA 22209
Direct +1 202-469-4487
Phone +1 202-902-0988  Ext. 204 
Fax +1 202-434-8707 
Email  <EMAIL REMOVED>  
Website https://www.commonlook.com/

Read this now! How CommonLook's expertise helped Google with PDF accessibility
Special Offer: For a Limited Time, Save $5,000+ in CommonLook Software

Free Newsletter | Software | Remediation Services | Training

Disclaimer:
This e-mail message is confidential, may be privileged and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s). Any other person is strictly prohibited from disclosing, distributing or reproducing it. If the addressee(s) cannot be reached or is unknown to you, please inform the sender by return e-mail.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Jackson, Derek J
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2020 12:43 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] PDF tag for title

Hello,

I wonder if anyone is familiar with a convention to tag the title in a PDF such that the title has the role of <title> and is mapped to a <P> tag? In testing with a screen reader (NVDA/Acrobat Reader) this is just read as normal text and there is no semantic indication that it is the title or a heading of any kind. I have always understood that the title should be an <H1>, and then subsequent headings flow from there. I wonder if this is an error since the title is visually indicated but there does not seem to be a programmatic way to understand the relationship. And I am talking about content in the document. I know the title must also be described in the metadata/document properties.

Just for the sake of clarity this is what I am seeing in the tag panel without roles mapped:
<Title> Document Title
And when I apply the role mapping it becomes:
<P> Document Title

Thanks for any and all help in understanding!

All the best,
Derek
—

Digital Accessibility Developer | Digital Accessibility Services Harvard University Information Technology
1430 Massachusetts Ave, 4th Floor
Cambridge, MA 02138

he/him/his