WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: PDF Form issue

for

Date: May 10, 2022 6:48AM

Hi Steve.

Thanks much! That worked perfectly. Not sure how those empty characters got there, I did not create the original PDF.

Joseph

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, May 8, 2022 1:02 PM
To: ' <EMAIL REMOVED> ' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] PDF Form issue

I get the same issue as you - JAWS and NVDA do not announce the names of some form controls.

The cause surprised me, but the fix is easy. If you go into the Properties of any form control that JAWS and NVDA do not announce, you will see there is what looks like a space at the end of the Name field. It's not a space because Acrobat doesn't let you put one at the end of the Name. It's some other non-printing character.

All you need to do is delete the "space" character, close the Properties dialog and repeat for all the other form controls.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 06 May 2022 17:09
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: Re: PDF Form issue

I would be happy to take a look if you want to email the document to me.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > on behalf of Sherman, Joseph < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Sent: 06 May 2022 15:52
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] PDF Form issue

Hi all,

I am having a problem with a PDF Form I am working on. It has been tagged and all tooltips have been added. The tag structure of each form field is the same. However, JAWS and NVDA read some of the form fields perfectly, and other fields JAWS and NVDA do not recognize as fields or read the tooltips. I am usually pretty decent with PDF forms, and I have never had this before. The PDF passes the Adobe check and the relevant CommonLook checks.

Anyone have any idea what might be happening? Thanks,

Joseph