WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: What's The State Of Support For Screen Readers And CSS-generated Content?

for

Date: May 26, 2022 12:27AM

Internet Explorer 11 doesn't support CSS content, but not many people will worry about that now.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Bryan Garaventa via WebAIM-Forum
Sent: 26 May 2022 00:51
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Cc: Bryan Garaventa < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] What's The State Of Support For Screen Readers And CSS-generated Content?

Hi,
I'm not sure about the best way to keep up with this, but CSS content has been supported now for several years that I am aware of.

This is part of the W3C AccName spec, and it is directly added to the accessibility tree within Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Safari.

This is why screen readers pick it up. Visual ARIA uses this technique to display all discovered ARIA roles and attributes on the page.

All the best,
Bryan

Bryan Garaventa
Principal Accessibility Architect
Level Access, Inc.
<EMAIL REMOVED>
415.624.2709 (o)
www.LevelAccess.com

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Jim Homme
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2022 1:29 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] What's The State Of Support For Screen Readers And CSS-generated Content?

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Hi,
I just ran across some CSS-generated content that I could read in Chrome with JAWS and NVDA. That's what prompted the question of the subject of this message. How are things with this, and what is the best way to keep up with such things so I can avoid giving bad advice?

Thanks.

Jim H

=========Jim Homme
Senior Digital Accessibility Consultant
Bender Consulting Services
412-787-8567
https://www.benderconsult.com/
Support the dreams of independence through employment for students with disabilities with your Amazon purchases.
https://smile.amazon.com/ch/83-0988251