WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Email with HTML content

for

Date: Jun 7, 2022 12:02PM

Thanks, Philip. I agree that there's a difference between auditing web content for wcag compliance and rejecting email content for non-usability in Outlook, but in this case we have what will be an accessible, usable web alternative we can link to from the email. So I guess what I should have been asking more clearly is whether screen reader users would find it “overly burdensome” to activate the link, leave Outlook (for example) and enter a browser context to get the content that way. If the answer is a resounding “You must not force them to do so!” then I might lobby for a revision of the email version itself so that it is usable in Outlook. If the answer is less “energized“ I might let this slide and pick my battles more wisely.
Now that I put it that way, I realize there is no likely definitive answer to my question!!
Such is life…
A

> On Jun 2, 2022, at 12:08, Philip Kiff < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> On 2022-06-01 09:57, Alan Zaitchik wrote:
>> [....] the original email file is not accessible in Outlook— nested presentation tables, lack of headings and list structures, and more. Screen readers give an inferior expeeience, to say the least. [....]
>
> Having an alternate method of accessing the email is always good. Also, including a plain text version - the email format allows for the inclusion both.
>
> But I didn't think that emails fall under the WCAG in a simple way, do they? It is very common for emails to use nested presentation tables, for example, and that is partly in order to deal with the fact that there are so many different email rendering engines and that (almost?) NONE of them actually process HTML correctly according to spec.
>
> I'm not sure that nested tables, for example, are on their own an accessibility barrier in emails, are they? They don't meet the HTML spec of course, but do they actually present a barrier to reading for screen reader users?
>
> And sending emails in plain text only isn't necessarily a good solution for accessibility either.
>
> That's not to say that we shouldn't be trying to find ways to create properly tagged HTML emails, but even really great email systems are still generating wacky code in order to fix broken email readers, aren't they?
>
> List please don't hesitate to let me know if I"m wrong on this!
>
> Phil.
>
> Philip Kiff
> D4K Communications
>