WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Resolving Lag With Jaws in an HTML Application Element Using Aria Live Regions

for

Date: Feb 14, 2023 5:45PM

The backslash key doesn't do anything on my machine with JAWS 2021 and the latest Chrome. When I arrow through the list I hear JAWS and the web TTS read each item, but at different speeds. I can't get it to use one or the other - it's always both.

NVDA works fine.

What is the backslash key supposed to do when it is passed through to JAWS? It doesn't appear to be a standard JAWS command.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Brandon Keith Biggs
Sent: 14 February 2023 23:40
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] Resolving Lag With Jaws in an HTML Application Element Using Aria Live Regions

Hello,

If there is a better place to send this, please let me know. I am developing a web application to work with Jaws.

I am wondering how to remove the strange lag with Jaws sending keys to an application and Jaws failing to clear aria live region text from its buffer? On our application site:

https://www.audiom.net/embed/6?apiKey=b_e0xbMW4_hk9tDtOYMrZ

1. Using Jaws, arrow down to “Audio Map On” and hit enter. This will
pop you into application mode. Now hit backslash “” and it will use your screen reader rather than web TTS.

2. Now press the down arrow repeatedly. There is a 50-100ms delay
between each key press that vanishes when using NVDA or no screen reader.

3. Go to coordinate 35, 17 on the “long ramp” and quickly repeatedly
arrow to the right until the sound changes. You will hear “long ramp” still announced when you hear the sound change when using Jaws (if you press the right arrow fast enough). Using web TTS or NVDA, there is no problem clearing the buffer, and you hear "empty space" right away.

I’m wondering if you have any ideas on how to resolve these usability issues with Jaws in a browser application?

Our Jaws users are quite unhappy with these bugs, and I don’t know how to resolve them, especially since they are not present outside of Jaws. I’m using Jaws 2023 in the latest stable version of Chrome.

Thank you,

Brandon Keith Biggs <http://brandonkeithbiggs.com/>;