WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: PDF Reading order question

for

Date: Aug 1, 2024 2:27PM

Hello Jon,

My apologies, but can you clarify what Content Label is? I’m not familiar with this term when applied to PDF’s.

Best,

Joshua

From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > on behalf of Jon Metz < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Date: Wednesday, July 31, 2024 at 10:08 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED> < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] PDF Reading order question
Howdy,

I have a reading order question for y'all. It's not life-or-death, but I'm having a disagreement with an accessibility vendor (with accessibility experts I know and respect, FWIW). As I have ASD, it's difficult for me to know if I'm wrong or overthinking my opinion on how to handle this situation.

Physically, the PDF is like this:

Page 1
H1
H2
Content Label
Content

H2
Content Label
Content

Company Logo on the left, social links on the right, company website under the social links

Page 2:
H2
Content Label
Content

H2
Content Label
Content

Disclaimer
Copyright info

My question is, how would you tag the Content Labels, and would you tag the document to represent the physical presentation of content; or would you structure the document another way? Does doing one way or the other break any accessibility rules (for WCAG 2x or PDF/UA-1) you can think of?

I look forward to hearing your opinion!

Thanks,
Jon Metz

(Thoughts on this list are mine alone and do not necessarily represent the views of Delta Dental of California or its affiliates)

The information contained in this email message and any attachments is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are not an addressee, you may not copy or disclose the information, or act upon it, and you should delete it entirely from your email system. Please notify the sender that you received this email in error.