Re: DHS Trusted Tester_Testing support/input

for

Date: Aug 29, 2024 9:05AM

Hi Claire

I have sort of had this debate years ago, rather than software - it
was applicability of accessibility altogether - fun, fun times. If
this is for a federal government agency, I would suggest meeting with
the Section 508 Program Manager - found at
https://www.section508.gov/tools/program-manager-listing/.

If you are testing the end product, a course, it should be tested as a
website because it uses a browser to work. Now if the course is
somehow packaged up, and installed to the computer, or played via CD
and doesn't use a browser - then I can buy the software argument.
Honestly, in terms of standards, the WCAG is slightly easier to meet.

>failing headers not being recognized by ANDI
> Lastly, I'm being told that ANDI isn't the tool to be used, "It is not always reliable for eLearning content. We recommend you consider using additional tools for a comprehensive assessment."

In my experience, ANDI has issues with messy code. I'd recommend
reviewing the code and acting accordingly.

--
Ryan E. Benson

On Thu, Aug 29, 2024 at 10:47 AM Claire Forbes < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> Hello everyone, I'm hoping for some input ...
>
> As a DHS Trusted Tester (completed in 2020), I test online courses from the end-users' experience - I'm provided a sandbox link for testing content, which is where a course lives until it's reviewed and deployed as live. When a course is live, participants are provided a weblink to a course, or they are enrolled in a course within a learning management system that lives on a website. I'm being criticized for testing these items as Web testing; being told I should be testing them as software since they are developed in Captivate, "Captivate Courses are not published as web products and therefore should be tested as 'Software.'"
> ... how is this a logical stance, or am I completely missing something here? It's quite possible, as I'm not a developer and have no experience with Captivate.
>
> I'm also being called out, and the DHS Section 508 Compliance Test Process document referenced, for failing headers not being recognized by ANDI - there are 100% "visually apparent" headings on the page that ANDI does not detect and ANDI sates "No headings, lists, landmarks, or live regions were detected." To me, this means the headings aren't "programmatically identified," as they should be based on section 9.2 Web: Section Headings, item A.
> So I'm being told "The ANDI tool is noting that there are no visually apparent headings on the page; It is a message stating a condition only. Note this message is not identifying a non compliance issue; this message is not red, yellow or orange which it would be if it were a compliance issue. For Section 9.2, the table indicates that this Test ID DOES NOT APPLY (DNA) "... if there are no visually apparent headings on the page..."
> However, this is not at all how I've interpreted the DHS test step and failure conditions for "visually apparent" headings. Any thoughts?
>
> Lastly, I'm being told that ANDI isn't the tool to be used, "It is not always reliable for eLearning content. We recommend you consider using additional tools for a comprehensive assessment."
> But this is the tool the DHS Trusted Tester course recommends to be used - what tools is everyone using then for web testing?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Claire
> > > >