WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

RE: Font Resizers (WAS RE: back to top)

for

Date: Jan 11, 2006 10:30AM

Darrel Austin wrote:

"I know I shouldn't eat ice cream and cake, and I know the grocery store could quickly point out some healthier alternatives, but, ya know what?
I want my cake and I want it now so just let me pay for it and stop bugging me. ;o)"

LOL. OK, you got me on that one :-)

Regards,
Tink.
-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Austin, Darrel
Sent: Wednesday, 11 January 2006 17:09
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: RE: Font Resizers (WAS RE: [WebAIM] back to top)

> Changing font size within the browser is not difficult.
> At best it's a couple of clicks or key presses. It is remarkable to me
> that we can accept that a user can turn on the computer, fire up an
> application, enter a URL, often manually, negotiate through links, web
> forms and much more, yet we believe that they are unwilling or unable
> to learn how to take a couple of short steps to make all of the above
> considerably easier.

It's not a matter of believing. It's a matter of observation. There isn't any faith involved here.

And it's not a matter of they can't...it's a matter of what their priorities are.

I know I shouldn't eat ice cream and cake, and I know the grocery store could quickly point out some healthier alternatives, but, ya know what?
I want my cake and I want it now so just let me pay for it and stop bugging me. ;o)

So, by all means, I think it's a good idea to point things out to people. "If you are using this site, stop using Internet Explorer and instead go download Firefox. Now open this site up and go to Tools >> Customize, etc, etc, and then come back and read the site!" But I also realize not everyone is going to read and/or do that, so why not also give them the option on the page as well? I'm not seeing this as an either/or issue, really. Both would seem to work fine together.

-Darrel