WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: is there a way to specify the language for the descriptive text for an image in PowerPoint

for

Number of posts in this thread: 5 (In chronological order)

Date: Wed, Jan 04 2023 8:20AM
Subject: is there a way to specify the language for the descriptive text for an image in PowerPoint
No previous message | Next message →

No matter what I do to change the language for the description, the English language is used by my screen reader when I move to the object.
Is your default display language assumed when presenting images?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Date: Wed, Jan 04 2023 9:10AM
Subject: Re: is there a way to specify the language for the descriptive text for an image in PowerPoint
← Previous message | Next message →

There is currently no mechanism to allow multilingual Alt Text for graphics. We've been asking for this for as long as Alt Text has existed. It is a real need. I have one graphic in a document with both English and Spanish text but can't identify the change in language in the Alt Text. Nor can I assign a different language for the entire Alt Text.

Cheers, Karen

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of David Farough
Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2023 10:21 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List ( = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ) < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: [WebAIM] is there a way to specify the language for the descriptive text for an image in PowerPoint

No matter what I do to change the language for the description, the English language is used by my screen reader when I move to the object.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Date: Wed, Jan 04 2023 9:13AM
Subject: Re: is there a way to specify the language for the descriptive text for an image in PowerPoint

This is the sort of feedback and need you should definitely make sure is logged with Microsoft with email to = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = .

Kelly

From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > on behalf of Karen McCall < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2023 10:10 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] is there a way to specify the language for the descriptive text for an image in PowerPoint

There is currently no mechanism to allow multilingual Alt Text for graphics. We've been asking for this for as long as Alt Text has existed. It is a real need. I have one graphic in a document with both English and Spanish text but can't identify the change in language in the Alt Text. Nor can I assign a different language for the entire Alt Text.

Cheers, Karen

To: WebAIM Discussion List ( = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ) < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: [WebAIM] is there a way to specify the language for the descriptive text for an image in PowerPoint

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Date: Wed, Jan 04 2023 9:52AM

Done! Hopefully as a Microsoft MVP for Office Apps and Services, it will float up the ladder?

Cheers, Karen

From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Kelly Ford
Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2023 11:13 AM
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] is there a way to specify the language for the descriptive text for an image in PowerPoint

This is the sort of feedback and need you should definitely make sure is logged with Microsoft with email to = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = .

Kelly

From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > on behalf of Karen McCall < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >

Cheers, Karen

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Date: Wed, Jan 04 2023 12:41PM
← Previous message | No next message

I did as well.

From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Karen McCall
Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2023 11:52 AM

Done! Hopefully as a Microsoft MVP for Office Apps and Services, it will float up the ladder?

Cheers, Karen

From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Kelly Ford
Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2023 11:13 AM

Kelly

Cheers, Karen

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks