WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: Double Tags

for

Number of posts in this thread: 9 (In chronological order)

Date: Fri, Sep 25 2015 10:05AM
Subject: Double Tags
No previous message | Next message →

When I create a PDF document or form my Tags each have two 'file box' icons underneath with the text, or Heading in them. This causes my screen reader to read everything twice. Is there something I am doing, or not doing, to cause all my tags to be doubled?

Joe Krack
Digital Accessibility Consultant
Disability Access Services<http://dor.ca.gov/DisabilityAccessInfo/Digital-Access.html>;
Department of Rehabilitation
916-558-5766

Date: Fri, Sep 25 2015 10:17AM
Subject: Re: Double Tags
← Previous message | Next message →

You will have to provide some details about how you create your PDFs, and what tool you use to look at the PDFs such that you see certain icons (and exactly where you see them), in order to trigger useful replies. Also, what screenreader are you using?

On 25 Sep 2015, at 18:05, "Krack, Joseph@DOR" < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:

> When I create a PDF document or form my Tags each have two 'file box' icons underneath with the text, or Heading in them. This causes my screen reader to read everything twice. Is there something I am doing, or not doing, to cause all my tags to be doubled?

Olaf

Date: Fri, Sep 25 2015 10:47AM

OK, a little more description :). First I create Word documents (Word 2010). I then open Adobe Acrobat Pro XI to create a PDF form from a the Word file. When asked I choose the Word document and click on 'Open' and 'Continue'. So now I have a PDF and if I click on the tag icon (looks like a price tag) I see my tag tree for the document on the left hand side. I click on the plus signs to expand; 'Tags', and then 'Sect' and I see all my 'Tags'. I click on the plus sign in front of any 'Tag' and it expands to show whats inside. There is an icon that looks like a file box (cardboard box with lid) and it shows the content of the Tag. It could be a <Normal> tag, or an <H1> tag, it doesn't matter. Each tag has two file box icons with the exact same content. So this means that my screen reader (both JAWS and NVDA) reads the content twice (because it is there twice in the tag). The only time it does not do this is if there is a hyperlink in the paragraph.

I don't believe images are allowed on this forum, but can send one to a personal account if I have not described what is happening sufficiently enough. Please let me know.

Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Olaf Drümmer
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2015 9:18 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Double Tags

You will have to provide some details about how you create your PDFs, and what tool you use to look at the PDFs such that you see certain icons (and exactly where you see them), in order to trigger useful replies. Also, what screenreader are you using?

On 25 Sep 2015, at 18:05, "Krack, Joseph@DOR" < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:

> When I create a PDF document or form my Tags each have two 'file box' icons underneath with the text, or Heading in them. This causes my screen reader to read everything twice. Is there something I am doing, or not doing, to cause all my tags to be doubled?

Olaf

Date: Fri, Sep 25 2015 11:21AM

That's a very unconventional way to make an accessible PDF, and it's probably not triggering the correct Word-to-PDF conversion utility or at least it's triggering a flawed one.

Try this method instead and see if the duplicate tag problem is cleared up.

1) Start with a well-styled Word document, one that uses minimal local/manual formatting and achieves the visual design via Paragraph and Character styles.
2) From within Word, access the ribbon thumbtab for Acrobat's tools. This is the plug-in (PDF-Maker) added by Acrobat into all MS Office applications and provides the best, most accurate tools for converting documents to accessible PDFs. See below if you don't have the Acrobat plug-in/Ribbon bar.
3) From the Acrobat Ribbon bar, choose PDF Preferences (Conversion Settings) and click the correct options for making an accessible PDF; mainly those are Create Bookmarks, Add links, and Enable Accessibility and Reflow with Tagged Adobe PDF. Click OK to exit the dialogue box.
4) From the Acrobat Ribbon bar, choose Create PDF and set the usual items for file name and destination location.

If you don't have the Acrobat Ribbon bar in your version of MS Word, I suggest you reinstall Acrobat and get the plug-in installed correctly because it's the best tool to make accessible PDFs (and for those created PDFs for print/press, also for that purpose, too).

1) Uninstall Acrobat. If on Windows, use Control Panel / Programs to uninstall Acrobat.
2) Reboot your computer (this removes all program-related functions that reside in memory and thoroughly removes the software). I prefer to do a cold boot, that is don't choose to "Restart" your computer but instead "Shut Down" and then reboot it.
3) Once rebooted, reinstall Acrobat from scratch. Make sure that MS Office is already installed so that the installation routine can find the individual applications and automatically drop the Acrobat PDF-Maker plug-in into them. When done, you'll see the Acrobat Ribbon bar / thumbtab in all your MS Office applications.

Hope this helps.
—Bevi Chagnon

— — —
Bevi Chagnon | www.PubCom.com | = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Technologists, Consultants, Trainers, Designers, and Developers
for publishing & communication
| PRINT | WEB | PDF | EPUB | Sec. 508 ACCESSIBILITY |
— — —

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Krack, Joseph@DOR
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2015 12:47 PM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >

OK, a little more description :). First I create Word documents (Word 2010). I then open Adobe Acrobat Pro XI to create a PDF form from a the Word file. When asked I choose the Word document and click on 'Open' and 'Continue'. So now I have a PDF and if I click on the tag icon (looks like a price tag) I see my tag tree for the document on the left hand side. I click on the plus signs to expand; 'Tags', and then 'Sect' and I see all my 'Tags'. I click on the plus sign in front of any 'Tag' and it expands to show whats inside. There is an icon that looks like a file box (cardboard box with lid) and it shows the content of the Tag. It could be a <Normal> tag, or an <H1> tag, it doesn't matter. Each tag has two file box icons with the exact same content. So this means that my screen reader (both JAWS and NVDA) reads the content twice (because it is there twice in the tag). The only time it does not do this is if there is a hyperlink in the paragraph.

I don't believe images are allowed on this forum, but can send one to a personal account if I have not described what is happening sufficiently enough. Please let me know.

Thanks!

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Olaf Drümmer

Olaf

Date: Fri, Sep 25 2015 11:56AM

When I first started making PDF documents and forms I did not have an Acrobat tab in my ribbon. I was told by our IT team that the version of Adobe Pro I had installed (I believe it was X) and the version of Office (2007?) were not compatible and the Acrobat tab could not be made available. So I learned how to make PDF's by opening acrobat and clicking on Create PDF and then browsing for my document. I do now have the Acrobat tab, but just continued to make them as I had been since I started working with Pro.

Bevi, once I created a PDF, and confirmed the settings as you laid out below, it seems to work fine. Even when I create a PDF in my 'old' way without using the Acrobat tab it now works - no more double tags. Very odd.

I appreciate the assistance from everyone because at first the PDF's I created were ok, but they have been increasingly problematic over time.

Thanks again, Joe

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Chagnon | PubCom.com
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2015 10:21 AM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List'

That's a very unconventional way to make an accessible PDF, and it's probably not triggering the correct Word-to-PDF conversion utility or at least it's triggering a flawed one.

Try this method instead and see if the duplicate tag problem is cleared up.

1) Start with a well-styled Word document, one that uses minimal local/manual formatting and achieves the visual design via Paragraph and Character styles.
2) From within Word, access the ribbon thumbtab for Acrobat's tools. This is the plug-in (PDF-Maker) added by Acrobat into all MS Office applications and provides the best, most accurate tools for converting documents to accessible PDFs. See below if you don't have the Acrobat plug-in/Ribbon bar.
3) From the Acrobat Ribbon bar, choose PDF Preferences (Conversion Settings) and click the correct options for making an accessible PDF; mainly those are Create Bookmarks, Add links, and Enable Accessibility and Reflow with Tagged Adobe PDF. Click OK to exit the dialogue box.
4) From the Acrobat Ribbon bar, choose Create PDF and set the usual items for file name and destination location.

If you don't have the Acrobat Ribbon bar in your version of MS Word, I suggest you reinstall Acrobat and get the plug-in installed correctly because it's the best tool to make accessible PDFs (and for those created PDFs for print/press, also for that purpose, too).

1) Uninstall Acrobat. If on Windows, use Control Panel / Programs to uninstall Acrobat.
2) Reboot your computer (this removes all program-related functions that reside in memory and thoroughly removes the software). I prefer to do a cold boot, that is don't choose to "Restart" your computer but instead "Shut Down" and then reboot it.
3) Once rebooted, reinstall Acrobat from scratch. Make sure that MS Office is already installed so that the installation routine can find the individual applications and automatically drop the Acrobat PDF-Maker plug-in into them. When done, you'll see the Acrobat Ribbon bar / thumbtab in all your MS Office applications.

Hope this helps.
—Bevi Chagnon

— — —
Bevi Chagnon | www.PubCom.com | = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = Technologists, Consultants, Trainers, Designers, and Developers for publishing & communication
| PRINT | WEB | PDF | EPUB | Sec. 508 ACCESSIBILITY |
— — —

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Krack, Joseph@DOR
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2015 12:47 PM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >

Thanks!

Olaf

Date: Fri, Sep 25 2015 12:40PM

Joe, you might also try Word's Save As…. command. In the dialog box for that feature, look for "Save As Type" and change the value to "PDF." The dialog box will change ever so slightly. Look for a button labeled "Options." Click it and make the settings Bevi mentioned above to obtain a tagged PDF. (You don't want to save it as a PDF/A, no matter how tempting that seems.)

If your Word document is accessible, the PDF will be accessible or nearly so. The only problem I've encountered was from images floating out of place. Not always, but occasionally. Cutting their tags from where they occurred in the tag tree and then pasting them where the belong is fast and generally works well.

Once you get the hang of it, this approach is easy as pie.

Cliff Tyllick
Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services

Sent from my iPhone
Although its spellcheck often saves me, all goofs in sent messages are its fault.

> On Sep 25, 2015, at 12:56 PM, Krack, Joseph@DOR < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> When I first started making PDF documents and forms I did not have an Acrobat tab in my ribbon. I was told by our IT team that the version of Adobe Pro I had installed (I believe it was X) and the version of Office (2007?) were not compatible and the Acrobat tab could not be made available. So I learned how to make PDF's by opening acrobat and clicking on Create PDF and then browsing for my document. I do now have the Acrobat tab, but just continued to make them as I had been since I started working with Pro.
>
> Bevi, once I created a PDF, and confirmed the settings as you laid out below, it seems to work fine. Even when I create a PDF in my 'old' way without using the Acrobat tab it now works - no more double tags. Very odd.
>
> I appreciate the assistance from everyone because at first the PDF's I created were ok, but they have been increasingly problematic over time.
>
> Thanks again, Joe
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Chagnon | PubCom.com
> Sent: Friday, September 25, 2015 10:21 AM
> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List'
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Double Tags
>
> That's a very unconventional way to make an accessible PDF, and it's probably not triggering the correct Word-to-PDF conversion utility or at least it's triggering a flawed one.
>
> Try this method instead and see if the duplicate tag problem is cleared up.
>
> 1) Start with a well-styled Word document, one that uses minimal local/manual formatting and achieves the visual design via Paragraph and Character styles.
> 2) From within Word, access the ribbon thumbtab for Acrobat's tools. This is the plug-in (PDF-Maker) added by Acrobat into all MS Office applications and provides the best, most accurate tools for converting documents to accessible PDFs. See below if you don't have the Acrobat plug-in/Ribbon bar.
> 3) From the Acrobat Ribbon bar, choose PDF Preferences (Conversion Settings) and click the correct options for making an accessible PDF; mainly those are Create Bookmarks, Add links, and Enable Accessibility and Reflow with Tagged Adobe PDF. Click OK to exit the dialogue box.
> 4) From the Acrobat Ribbon bar, choose Create PDF and set the usual items for file name and destination location.
>
> If you don't have the Acrobat Ribbon bar in your version of MS Word, I suggest you reinstall Acrobat and get the plug-in installed correctly because it's the best tool to make accessible PDFs (and for those created PDFs for print/press, also for that purpose, too).
>
> 1) Uninstall Acrobat. If on Windows, use Control Panel / Programs to uninstall Acrobat.
> 2) Reboot your computer (this removes all program-related functions that reside in memory and thoroughly removes the software). I prefer to do a cold boot, that is don't choose to "Restart" your computer but instead "Shut Down" and then reboot it.
> 3) Once rebooted, reinstall Acrobat from scratch. Make sure that MS Office is already installed so that the installation routine can find the individual applications and automatically drop the Acrobat PDF-Maker plug-in into them. When done, you'll see the Acrobat Ribbon bar / thumbtab in all your MS Office applications.
>
> Hope this helps.
> —Bevi Chagnon
>
> — — —
> Bevi Chagnon | www.PubCom.com | = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = Technologists, Consultants, Trainers, Designers, and Developers for publishing & communication
> | PRINT | WEB | PDF | EPUB | Sec. 508 ACCESSIBILITY |
> — — —
>
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Krack, Joseph@DOR
> Sent: Friday, September 25, 2015 12:47 PM
> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
>
> OK, a little more description :). First I create Word documents (Word 2010). I then open Adobe Acrobat Pro XI to create a PDF form from a the Word file. When asked I choose the Word document and click on 'Open' and 'Continue'. So now I have a PDF and if I click on the tag icon (looks like a price tag) I see my tag tree for the document on the left hand side. I click on the plus signs to expand; 'Tags', and then 'Sect' and I see all my 'Tags'. I click on the plus sign in front of any 'Tag' and it expands to show whats inside. There is an icon that looks like a file box (cardboard box with lid) and it shows the content of the Tag. It could be a <Normal> tag, or an <H1> tag, it doesn't matter. Each tag has two file box icons with the exact same content. So this means that my screen reader (both JAWS and NVDA) reads the content twice (because it is there twice in the tag). The only time it does not do this is if there is a hyperlink in the paragraph.
>
> I don't believe images are allowed on this forum, but can send one to a personal account if I have not described what is happening sufficiently enough. Please let me know.
>
> Thanks!
>
>
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Olaf Drümmer
> Sent: Friday, September 25, 2015 9:18 AM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List
>
> You will have to provide some details about how you create your PDFs, and what tool you use to look at the PDFs such that you see certain icons (and exactly where you see them), in order to trigger useful replies. Also, what screenreader are you using?
>
>> On 25 Sep 2015, at 18:05, "Krack, Joseph@DOR" < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>>
>> When I create a PDF document or form my Tags each have two 'file box' icons underneath with the text, or Heading in them. This causes my screen reader to read everything twice. Is there something I am doing, or not doing, to cause all my tags to be doubled?
>
> Olaf
>
> > > >
> > > > > > >

Date: Fri, Sep 25 2015 1:40PM

Joe, I forgot to mention a set of free tutorials that you can use to learn how to create accessible documents, spreadsheets, and presentations in Office. One of the tutorials covers the details of making a PDF from a Word document. Another of the tutorials introduces a tab you can add to Word's ribbon to make it easier to create accessible documents.

The value of the tab, which some call the Accessibility tab and others call the Productivity tab, is that it consolidates just about every command that makes it easier to create an accessible document—and gets the commands that would lead you astray out of your face.

To find the tutorials and toolbar, go to
http://gov.texas.gov/disabilities/accessibledocs

These tutorials won the FCC Chairman's Award in 2013 (or 2014?) for contributing to accessibility in the workplace. At least I think that's what the award was for—I'll have to look it up some day.

Cliff Tyllick

Sent from my iPhone
Although its spellcheck often saves me, all goofs in sent messages are its fault.

> On Sep 25, 2015, at 12:56 PM, Krack, Joseph@DOR < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> When I first started making PDF documents and forms I did not have an Acrobat tab in my ribbon. I was told by our IT team that the version of Adobe Pro I had installed (I believe it was X) and the version of Office (2007?) were not compatible and the Acrobat tab could not be made available. So I learned how to make PDF's by opening acrobat and clicking on Create PDF and then browsing for my document. I do now have the Acrobat tab, but just continued to make them as I had been since I started working with Pro.
>
> Bevi, once I created a PDF, and confirmed the settings as you laid out below, it seems to work fine. Even when I create a PDF in my 'old' way without using the Acrobat tab it now works - no more double tags. Very odd.
>
> I appreciate the assistance from everyone because at first the PDF's I created were ok, but they have been increasingly problematic over time.
>
> Thanks again, Joe
>
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Chagnon | PubCom.com
>
> That's a very unconventional way to make an accessible PDF, and it's probably not triggering the correct Word-to-PDF conversion utility or at least it's triggering a flawed one.
>
>
> 1) Start with a well-styled Word document, one that uses minimal local/manual formatting and achieves the visual design via Paragraph and Character styles.
> 2) From within Word, access the ribbon thumbtab for Acrobat's tools. This is the plug-in (PDF-Maker) added by Acrobat into all MS Office applications and provides the best, most accurate tools for converting documents to accessible PDFs. See below if you don't have the Acrobat plug-in/Ribbon bar.
> 3) From the Acrobat Ribbon bar, choose PDF Preferences (Conversion Settings) and click the correct options for making an accessible PDF; mainly those are Create Bookmarks, Add links, and Enable Accessibility and Reflow with Tagged Adobe PDF. Click OK to exit the dialogue box.
> 4) From the Acrobat Ribbon bar, choose Create PDF and set the usual items for file name and destination location.
>
> If you don't have the Acrobat Ribbon bar in your version of MS Word, I suggest you reinstall Acrobat and get the plug-in installed correctly because it's the best tool to make accessible PDFs (and for those created PDFs for print/press, also for that purpose, too).
>
> 1) Uninstall Acrobat. If on Windows, use Control Panel / Programs to uninstall Acrobat.
> 2) Reboot your computer (this removes all program-related functions that reside in memory and thoroughly removes the software). I prefer to do a cold boot, that is don't choose to "Restart" your computer but instead "Shut Down" and then reboot it.
> 3) Once rebooted, reinstall Acrobat from scratch. Make sure that MS Office is already installed so that the installation routine can find the individual applications and automatically drop the Acrobat PDF-Maker plug-in into them. When done, you'll see the Acrobat Ribbon bar / thumbtab in all your MS Office applications.
>
> Hope this helps.
> —Bevi Chagnon
>
> — — —
> Bevi Chagnon | www.PubCom.com | = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = Technologists, Consultants, Trainers, Designers, and Developers for publishing & communication
> — — —
>
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Krack, Joseph@DOR
>
> OK, a little more description :). First I create Word documents (Word 2010). I then open Adobe Acrobat Pro XI to create a PDF form from a the Word file. When asked I choose the Word document and click on 'Open' and 'Continue'. So now I have a PDF and if I click on the tag icon (looks like a price tag) I see my tag tree for the document on the left hand side. I click on the plus signs to expand; 'Tags', and then 'Sect' and I see all my 'Tags'. I click on the plus sign in front of any 'Tag' and it expands to show whats inside. There is an icon that looks like a file box (cardboard box with lid) and it shows the content of the Tag. It could be a <Normal> tag, or an <H1> tag, it doesn't matter. Each tag has two file box icons with the exact same content. So this means that my screen reader (both JAWS and NVDA) reads the content twice (because it is there twice in the tag). The only time it does not do this is if there is a hyperlink in the paragraph.
>
> I don't believe images are allowed on this forum, but can send one to a personal account if I have not described what is happening sufficiently enough. Please let me know.
>
> Thanks!
>
>
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Olaf Drümmer
>
> You will have to provide some details about how you create your PDFs, and what tool you use to look at the PDFs such that you see certain icons (and exactly where you see them), in order to trigger useful replies. Also, what screenreader are you using?
>
>> On 25 Sep 2015, at 18:05, "Krack, Joseph@DOR" < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>>
>> When I create a PDF document or form my Tags each have two 'file box' icons underneath with the text, or Heading in them. This causes my screen reader to read everything twice. Is there something I am doing, or not doing, to cause all my tags to be doubled?
>
> Olaf
>
> > > >
> > > > > > >

Date: Fri, Sep 25 2015 1:46PM

Thank you for those detailed explanations and the original post. Most pertinent for a project I'm about to commence.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone

> On 26/09/2015, at 7:40 am, Cliff Tyllick < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> Joe, I forgot to mention a set of free tutorials that you can use to learn how to create accessible documents, spreadsheets, and presentations in Office. One of the tutorials covers the details of making a PDF from a Word document. Another of the tutorials introduces a tab you can add to Word's ribbon to make it easier to create accessible documents.
>
> The value of the tab, which some call the Accessibility tab and others call the Productivity tab, is that it consolidates just about every command that makes it easier to create an accessible document—and gets the commands that would lead you astray out of your face.
>
> To find the tutorials and toolbar, go to
> http://gov.texas.gov/disabilities/accessibledocs
>
> These tutorials won the FCC Chairman's Award in 2013 (or 2014?) for contributing to accessibility in the workplace. At least I think that's what the award was for—I'll have to look it up some day.
>
> Cliff Tyllick
> Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> Although its spellcheck often saves me, all goofs in sent messages are its fault.
>
>> On Sep 25, 2015, at 12:56 PM, Krack, Joseph@DOR < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>>
>> When I first started making PDF documents and forms I did not have an Acrobat tab in my ribbon. I was told by our IT team that the version of Adobe Pro I had installed (I believe it was X) and the version of Office (2007?) were not compatible and the Acrobat tab could not be made available. So I learned how to make PDF's by opening acrobat and clicking on Create PDF and then browsing for my document. I do now have the Acrobat tab, but just continued to make them as I had been since I started working with Pro.
>>
>> Bevi, once I created a PDF, and confirmed the settings as you laid out below, it seems to work fine. Even when I create a PDF in my 'old' way without using the Acrobat tab it now works - no more double tags. Very odd.
>>
>> I appreciate the assistance from everyone because at first the PDF's I created were ok, but they have been increasingly problematic over time.
>>
>> Thanks again, Joe
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Chagnon | PubCom.com
>> Sent: Friday, September 25, 2015 10:21 AM
>> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List'
>> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Double Tags
>>
>> That's a very unconventional way to make an accessible PDF, and it's probably not triggering the correct Word-to-PDF conversion utility or at least it's triggering a flawed one.
>>
>> Try this method instead and see if the duplicate tag problem is cleared up.
>>
>> 1) Start with a well-styled Word document, one that uses minimal local/manual formatting and achieves the visual design via Paragraph and Character styles.
>> 2) From within Word, access the ribbon thumbtab for Acrobat's tools. This is the plug-in (PDF-Maker) added by Acrobat into all MS Office applications and provides the best, most accurate tools for converting documents to accessible PDFs. See below if you don't have the Acrobat plug-in/Ribbon bar.
>> 3) From the Acrobat Ribbon bar, choose PDF Preferences (Conversion Settings) and click the correct options for making an accessible PDF; mainly those are Create Bookmarks, Add links, and Enable Accessibility and Reflow with Tagged Adobe PDF. Click OK to exit the dialogue box.
>> 4) From the Acrobat Ribbon bar, choose Create PDF and set the usual items for file name and destination location.
>>
>> If you don't have the Acrobat Ribbon bar in your version of MS Word, I suggest you reinstall Acrobat and get the plug-in installed correctly because it's the best tool to make accessible PDFs (and for those created PDFs for print/press, also for that purpose, too).
>>
>> 1) Uninstall Acrobat. If on Windows, use Control Panel / Programs to uninstall Acrobat.
>> 2) Reboot your computer (this removes all program-related functions that reside in memory and thoroughly removes the software). I prefer to do a cold boot, that is don't choose to "Restart" your computer but instead "Shut Down" and then reboot it.
>> 3) Once rebooted, reinstall Acrobat from scratch. Make sure that MS Office is already installed so that the installation routine can find the individual applications and automatically drop the Acrobat PDF-Maker plug-in into them. When done, you'll see the Acrobat Ribbon bar / thumbtab in all your MS Office applications.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>> —Bevi Chagnon
>>
>> — — —
>> Bevi Chagnon | www.PubCom.com | = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = Technologists, Consultants, Trainers, Designers, and Developers for publishing & communication
>> | PRINT | WEB | PDF | EPUB | Sec. 508 ACCESSIBILITY |
>> — — —
>>
>> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Krack, Joseph@DOR
>> Sent: Friday, September 25, 2015 12:47 PM
>> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
>>
>> OK, a little more description :). First I create Word documents (Word 2010). I then open Adobe Acrobat Pro XI to create a PDF form from a the Word file. When asked I choose the Word document and click on 'Open' and 'Continue'. So now I have a PDF and if I click on the tag icon (looks like a price tag) I see my tag tree for the document on the left hand side. I click on the plus signs to expand; 'Tags', and then 'Sect' and I see all my 'Tags'. I click on the plus sign in front of any 'Tag' and it expands to show whats inside. There is an icon that looks like a file box (cardboard box with lid) and it shows the content of the Tag. It could be a <Normal> tag, or an <H1> tag, it doesn't matter. Each tag has two file box icons with the exact same content. So this means that my screen reader (both JAWS and NVDA) reads the content twice (because it is there twice in the tag). The only time it does not do this is if there is a hyperlink in the paragraph.
>>
>> I don't believe images are allowed on this forum, but can send one to a personal account if I have not described what is happening sufficiently enough. Please let me know.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>>
>> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Olaf Drümmer
>> Sent: Friday, September 25, 2015 9:18 AM
>> To: WebAIM Discussion List
>>
>> You will have to provide some details about how you create your PDFs, and what tool you use to look at the PDFs such that you see certain icons (and exactly where you see them), in order to trigger useful replies. Also, what screenreader are you using?
>>
>>> On 25 Sep 2015, at 18:05, "Krack, Joseph@DOR" < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>>>
>>> When I create a PDF document or form my Tags each have two 'file box' icons underneath with the text, or Heading in them. This causes my screen reader to read everything twice. Is there something I am doing, or not doing, to cause all my tags to be doubled?
>>
>> Olaf
>>
>> >> >> >>
>> >> >> >> >> >> >> > > > >

Date: Fri, Sep 25 2015 2:16PM
← Previous message | No next message

Thanks Cliff

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Cliff Tyllick
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2015 11:40 AM

Joe, you might also try Word's Save As…. command. In the dialog box for that feature, look for "Save As Type" and change the value to "PDF." The dialog box will change ever so slightly. Look for a button labeled "Options." Click it and make the settings Bevi mentioned above to obtain a tagged PDF. (You don't want to save it as a PDF/A, no matter how tempting that seems.)

If your Word document is accessible, the PDF will be accessible or nearly so. The only problem I've encountered was from images floating out of place. Not always, but occasionally. Cutting their tags from where they occurred in the tag tree and then pasting them where the belong is fast and generally works well.

Once you get the hang of it, this approach is easy as pie.

Cliff Tyllick

Sent from my iPhone

>
>
>
>
> Thanks again, Joe
>
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On
> Behalf Of Chagnon | PubCom.com
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Hope this helps.
> —Bevi Chagnon
>
> — — —
> Bevi Chagnon | www.PubCom.com | = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = Technologists,
> Consultants, Trainers, Designers, and Developers for publishing &
> communication
> — — —
>
> Behalf Of Krack, Joseph@DOR
>
>
>
> Thanks!
>
>
> Behalf Of Olaf Drümmer
>
>
>>
>
> Olaf
>
> > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> > > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
> > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> > > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>