WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: testing keyboard access without a screen reader

for

Number of posts in this thread: 2 (In chronological order)

Date: Mon, Jan 15 2018 3:18PM
Subject: testing keyboard access without a screen reader
No previous message | Next message →

I am a screen reader user (JAWS and NVDA).

I'd like to test to see if elements on a web page are accessible with a keyboard without having a screen reader active.

What is the best practice for a blind user to test keyboard accessibility on a web page without using the OSM?

Thanks,
David Engebretson Jr.
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Bellingham, WA

Date: Tue, Jan 16 2018 6:09AM
Subject: Re: testing keyboard access without a screen reader
← Previous message | No next message

Hello,

First let me promote BATS. This is a list run by and for blind users who are doing accessibility testing. There is also a web page for the group, but we need to update it some.

Generally if you interact with an item in Forms/Focus mode then most if not all of the keystrokes will be passed directly to the browser. In JAWS there is also insert-Z to toggle virtual mode, but I generally find this not as useful. Personally, I find the most issues with testing sites are caused by my developers thinking that off-screen means unavailable. Some very interesting things can happen when one clicks on a action in a site that the developer didn't think the user could get to at that point.

Best wishes,

Jonathan Cohn

> On Jan 15, 2018, at 5:18 PM, David Engebretson Jr < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> I am a screen reader user (JAWS and NVDA).
>
> I'd like to test to see if elements on a web page are accessible with a keyboard without having a screen reader active.
>
> What is the best practice for a blind user to test keyboard accessibility on a web page without using the OSM?
>
> Thanks,
> David Engebretson Jr.
> = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
> Bellingham, WA
> > > >