WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: blind users and quality software training materials

for

Number of posts in this thread: 2 (In chronological order)

Date: Tue, Jan 14 2020 9:27AM
Subject: blind users and quality software training materials
No previous message | Next message →

Unfortunately, I could provide many poor examples that I see frequently.

Angela

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Mark Weiler
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 12:07 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: [WebAIM] blind users and quality software training materials

Does anyone have examples of training materials for software or complex webapps that blind users have verified as being helpful? I'm trying to identify pedagogical patterns of quality training materials.  For examples, perhaps helpful training materials include exercises that can be practiced? 

It's important that these training materials have somehow been verified as being helpful by blind users. If you have vision loss, this could be based on your personal experience with the training material. If you are without vision loss it could be training material that is somehow vetted by a group of blind users.

Sincerely, Mark

Date: Tue, Jan 14 2020 9:48AM
Subject: Re: blind users and quality software training materials
← Previous message | No next message

When I use to write some training for other people who are blind or helped with developing training, it seemed that the training that worked the best involved step-by-step instructions.

Usually there was a paragraph or 2 that provided general information about the task the user would be performing. That would be followed by a step-by-step description of the task.

It was particularly important to be specific about the names, roles, and states of interactive elements because that is the only way we have to tell if we are following the task steps correctly.

The other part that seemed to be important was to help the user try to build an accurate mental model of the application.

I think the BATS site has some articles written along those lines. You may also want to look at the type of training offered by screen reader vendors.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Tim
Tim Harshbarger
Senior Accessibility Consultant
Deque Systems

From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Angela French
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 10:28 AM
To: Mark Weiler < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >; WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] blind users and quality software training materials

Unfortunately, I could provide many poor examples that I see frequently.

Angela

From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Mark Weiler
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 12:07 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: [WebAIM] blind users and quality software training materials

Does anyone have examples of training materials for software or complex webapps that blind users have verified as being helpful? I'm trying to identify pedagogical patterns of quality training materials. For examples, perhaps helpful training materials include exercises that can be practiced?

It's important that these training materials have somehow been verified as being helpful by blind users. If you have vision loss, this could be based on your personal experience with the training material. If you are without vision loss it could be training material that is somehow vetted by a group of blind users.

Sincerely, Mark