E-mail List Archives

Re: Chinese/Japanese/Korean names and their romanizations in aFrench article

Date: Mar 25, 2008 9:40AM

Consider just placing the Romanization inside parens beside the Chinese characters. Since this is a French language site I think that would seem appropriate. You should probably also place the Chinese characters inside of a span with an appropriate language attribute.

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Pierre
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 10:18 AM
Subject: [WebAIM] Chinese/Japanese/Korean names and their romanizations in aFrench article

Hello all,

I'm currently managing a French Website about Asian culture, and therefore the writers would like to write Chinese/Japanese/Korean names in their original form (Chinese characters, kanji...). I would like to store the "romanized" version of those names in the HTML document, so readers who can't understand Chinese/Japanese/Korean can still have an idea of the name.

For instance, I'd like to use "伍佰" in the text, and its Pinyin romanization, "Wubai".

I thought about using HTML tags such as abbr, acronym or dfn, and then use the title and lang attributes to display the romanization and the language it comes from. I could display the romanized version between brackets when the article is printed, and use it as a "tooltip" when the article is read online.

What would be the best method to use in order to display such names in a French text and to keep "readability" thanks to the romanized versions of the characters?

I suppose I shouldn't use abbr nor acronym because of their original meaning... what about dfn?

I heard about a ruby tag <http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/WD-ruby-19981221/>;
but it seems it's not implemented in any "classical" browsers (Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer) the way I'd like to use it...

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide!

Pierre Equoy