WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Request for a screenreader test

for

Date: Jan 23, 2009 1:40AM

"So I've created a test page that uses CSS to write the characters in. I know it won't work on Internet Explorer, but I'm wondering if someone who uses Firefox in conjunction with a screen reader can test this page out and see if the screenreader still announces the characters:"

It works perfectly with Firefox 3.x, and Window Eyes 7+, or Jaws 7.1+. Tried various punctuation settings in Jaws, just to be on the safe side, but the angle brackets are not reported. The cleaner output is great.

Regards,
Léonie.

--
Nomensa - humanising technology

Léonie Watson | Director of Accessibility
t. +44 (0)117 929 7333 |

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Dean Hamack
Sent: 23 January 2009 01:45
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: [WebAIM] Request for a screenreader test

A while back, someone posted a link to an article called "The Sound of the Accessible Title Text Separator". That got me thinking how annoying it must be to have to listen to "right double angle bracket" and "left double angle bracket" over and over again.

So I've created a test page that uses CSS to write the characters in. I know it won't work on Internet Explorer, but I'm wondering if someone who uses Firefox in conjunction with a screen reader can test this page out and see if the screenreader still announces the characters:

http://bushidodesigns.net/test/sc.htm