WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Link text best practice

for

Date: Jan 5, 2011 12:57AM

Dear all,

Thank you very much for confirming this - good to know I haven't been passing on disinformation for the past 3 years - and thanks also for the extra bits of info too.

Many thanks,

G

PS - and now I know what phytochemicals are too!

Gareth Dart
Web Developer
Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA)
95 Promenade, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire GL50 1HZ
T 01242 211128 F 01242 211122 W www.hesa.ac.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Jim Allan
Sent: 04 January 2011 23:05
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Link text best practice

Liz,
that checklist is for Word documents only. It makes sense to have the
fully qualified URL in text in the word document. I would still make
some descriptive text be the link and parenthetically include the
'fully qualified URL'. If you review the 508 HTML Guideline
(http://www.hhs.gov/web/policies/checklisthtml.html) it does not
mention the "fully qualified URL."

Jim

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Liz Layman < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
> Hello:
>
> In regards to "Some of them have told me that they've read (no references given) 'somewhere
> online' that URLs should always be used for link text. I haven't been able
> to find this anywhere, but wanted to check here too."
>
> In working on federal contracts with HHS & CMS, they specify in their 508 checklists that URLs should "display the fully qualified URL" - which has been discussed with contracting officials as the full URL when linking externally.
>
> To reference the checklists, please see: http://www.hhs.gov/web/508/checklists/index.html (for example in the word checklist, refer to '1.0 - ID 1.10').
>
> We have discussed how a full [or long] URL such as one generated from a content management system would not be beneficial for a screen reader user to render. I personally feel it would be more beneficial and usable to use link text that describes the source target/link destination (e.g., requirements for XYZ on NASA). The 'click here' is not useful to describe the source target/link destination , and if there are more than one of these on a page it can cause confusion - especially if using a screen reader one chooses to view a list of all links for quick navigation or orientation to the page content.
>
> However, the primary use of the content needs to distinguish how the URL is to be displayed. Is it a web page or content linked from a web page? Is it e-mail text or printed content? I agree with displaying the full URL within an e-mail and on printed content.
>
> Twitter: 508ingGirl
>
> Liz Layman ( <EMAIL REMOVED> )
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication, including any attachments, may contain confidential information and is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  Any review, dissemination, or copying of this communication by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by reply email to <EMAIL REMOVED> and delete or destroy all copies of the original message and any attachments thereto. Email sent to or from IFMC or any of its member companies may be retained as required by law or regulation.
>
>