WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: reading list mail

for

Date: Aug 3, 2011 2:03PM

THANKS EVERY ONE FOR THE GOOD discussion . JOHN WHEN I SUGGESTED PREFIXING WITH SOME THING OTHER THEN A > I MEANT
Lucy Greco wrote:
>
> Think about this for a second I and many screen reader users do not
> have punctuation turned on it's too verbose to listen to. So now think
> about how a person using a screen reader might know how to tell what
> is new and what is quoted text.

It strikes me that this should be a feature/function of your software combinations. With no offense intended Lucy, I am troubled by authors creating content that is specifically targeted to one user-group. I understand that the redundancy factor that screen-reader users must deal with can be tiring, but top-posting also introduces cognition issues for other users. Once again, this is why I choose to use inter-leaved responses to trimmed posts, as it attempts to find a balance that works for all users, and not just screen reader users.

> Please people
> could we try and top post in most cases. Or if you must answer inline
> which I know needs to happen many times prefix your comments with
> something other than punctuation.

Such as? Most text-based email clients I know of (and I generally avoid HTML-rich email) use the greater-than symbol, although (at least in
Outlook) that can be changed to something else. What would you recommend instead?
ANSWER JUST LIKE THIS OR USE YOUR INITIALS OR MANY OTHER TRICKS THAT CAN BE USED I WORK WITH LOTS OF STUDENTS WITH LEARNING DISABILITY'S AND THEY ALSO GET OVER WHELMED BY INLINE IN LESS THE APPLICATION USES COLOR TO INDICATE. I AGREE THAT AT VENDERS HAVE A LOT TO ANSWER FOR IN SCREEN READER ROBUSTNESS. BUT SOME TIMES THE USERS NEED TO WORK HARDER TO.

But just like in HTML, when it comes to email remember POUR - Perceivable, Operable, Understandable and Robust. Top posting hurts in the Perceivable and Understandable departments (IMHO)

JF

ONE OTHER POINT I WANTED TO MAKE WAS SOME MANY EXECUTIVES NEVER READ PAST THE LINE. SO IF YOUR ANSWERS ARE INLINE OR AT THE BOTTOM THE BOSS IS NOT SEEING IT