WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Accessibility or Sectoin 508 compliance of Slideshare

for

Date: Sep 7, 2011 11:45AM

Hi,

Thanks for the info here.
I sent Lori an e-mail about this last week, but she's probably been out for the Labor Day weekend and such. I'll try to catch up with her this week.

Thanks again.

Courtney

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Ryan E. Benson
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2011 2:32 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Accessibility or Sectoin 508 compliance of Slideshare

Courtney,

I cannot give a thumbs up/down about Slideshare, however I get this question at work now and then. Here is what I reply with:
We have different requirements for posting PPT depending on where the PPT is going,

1- if it is never going to be distributed in any form, then you only need to caption videos and other things like that.
2- if the PPT is internal only, you can post the PPT as long as it meets our checklist. However providing it in another format, PDF or HTML, is strongly recommended - with HTML the preference. The alternate version needs to meet the checklist for that type.
3- If the PPT is for external viewing/sharing, the PPT must meet the checklist and also must provide an alternate format.

The web council for us hasn't put as strict of rules on internal as external. That is why it is optional for internal. I would say they would kind of frown on hosting at an external site.

I suggest you talk to Lori Parker to see if she has some sort of similar policies.

--
Ryan E. Benson

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Ritz, Courtney L. (GSFC-7500) < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Forgive me if this has already been discussed on the list at some point, I couldn't find reference to it.
>
> An organization here has a very large number of PDF presentations they need to post on-line, which are not currently Section 508 compliant.
> But they're wondering if Slideshare.net is compliant and if they could use it to post their presentations.
> I have no previous experience with Slideshare.
> I took a quick look at two presentations which are already on-line,
> http://www.slideshare.net/ckleclerc/2011-nasa-open-source-summit-david
> -wheeler
> and
> http://www.slideshare.net/ckleclerc/open-sourceatnasa-fong
>
> WAVE points out some missing form labels and some empty links.  But I'm also not too convinced of the accessibility of the Flash objects myself.  Beyond that, I found the first presentation to be a little easier to read than the second, except that JAWS gives me a lot of extra clutter.
>
> So, I guess my questions are:
> 1. How accessible or Section 508 compliant is Slideshare known to be?
> 2. Is it easy to create an accessible or compliant presentation for it?
> 3.  Or would it just be easier to stick with making the original PDF versions accessible / compliant and post those somewhere?
>
> Thanks so much for your help, as usual.
>
> Courtney
>