E-mail List Archives

Re: tagging PDF's

for

Date: Mar 28, 2012 2:00AM

Hello,

Yes, when you change the reading order from the Order panel, the order
objects are overlaid on the page is also changed. Sometimes when you
edit content in the Order panel, an object which should be in front of
another ends up behind it, and therefore adversely affects the layout.
You then need to manually correct it.

So I recommand to define the reading order from the Tags panel and the
content reflow from the Content panel.

I try to explain this in AcceDe PDF manuals :
http://www.pdf-accessible.com/en/accede-manuals/

7 - Defining the reading order, page 46
and
9 - Checking the content reflow, page 72

I hope it will be useful for you.

Regards,

Sébastien Delorme
<EMAIL REMOVED>

T=E9l. 01 45 26 77 89 / Port. 06 10 70 16 01
Fax. 09 57 59 77 97

----------------------------------------------------------------

Atalan
Accessibilit=E9 num=E9rique et sensibilisation au handicap
Plus d'informations sur www.atalan.fr

Atalan est coordinateur du projet AcceDe www.accede.info

Le 23/03/2012 19:20, Dana L. Tallon a =E9crit :
> This is my whole problem. When I rearrange the reading order the design is altered. We have always had this problem. I was hoping that the Tag Tree would be okay. Our agency still creates a Large Print text file and Braille Ready text file of our publications so I know I am covered. But I know the one file fully accessible goes along way and that is what I am striving for. Through this discussion I have learned a lot on the proper tagging in Indesign and future projects I hope to do better so the reading order can be right.
>
> Thank you all!
>
> Dana Tallon
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Karlen Communications [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ]
> Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 3:10 PM
> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List'
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] tagging PDF's
>
> Sorry, what I was saying is that for some documents there is no way of reconciling the Order Panel and Tags Panel/Tree and in those cases/documents, concentrate on the Tags Tree.
>
> In those types of documents, even starting with the Order Panel is not possible as the document gets corrupted, content disappears, moves out of its layering and generally cannot be repaired. These are flawed or fragile PDF documents. For some of them even removing each page, trying to Tag them separately and reassembling the document doesn't work.
>
> Ideally you do want the Content, Order and Tags Panels to agree but in some documents they simply can't.
>
> Cheers, Karen
>
>
> From: <EMAIL REMOVED>
> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Ted
> Sent: March-22-12 2:06 PM
>
> Sorry but I have to disagree that the Order Panel doesn't matter - it certainly does for people who need to view documents in Reflow view, for example people with various low vision conditions, not to mention the reading order for PDFs viewed on many mobile devices.
>
> The key to fixing it in Acrobat is to do the Order Panel first and then the tags panel (changing the Order Panel affects both views whereas changing reading order in the tags tree affects only the tags output).
>
> The key to fixing it in InDesign is to go through each page working from bottom right to top left and sending each frame in turn to the back in the stacking order. This works perfectly in InDesign CS5.5 but for previous versions it doesn't work for images which will still have to be fixed in Acrobat as above.
>
>
> Ted Page
> Director, PWS Ltd
>
> Registered in England no. 06508410.
> Registered office: 4 Riverview, Walnut Tree Close, Guildford, Surrey GU1 4UX
>
>
> From: Karlen Communications [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ]
> Sent: 22 March 2012 11:22
>
>
> While it is preferable to have both the Tags Panel and the Order Panel match up, adaptive technology reads through the Tags Tree so making sure it is correct is the goal. There are some documents where you simply can't get the two to match up. There is also a bug when converting Word documents containing images to tagged PDF where the images will always be placed at the bottom of the page items in the Order Panel no matter where they are on the page. The Tags will be correct but the Order Panel is "off."
>
> As long as the Tags are correct and in the correct order, you should be good.
>
> Cheers, Karen
>
> From: <EMAIL REMOVED>
> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Dana L. Tallon
> Sent: March-21-12 2:58 PM
> To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
> Subject: [WebAIM] tagging pdfs
>
> I have a dilemma. I created a document in InDesign and tagged every header, paragraph and photo. I then set the tags in the proper reading order and export to a tagged pdf file. The tags come across perfectly and in the right order. But when I look at the reading order panel, the order is off. Do screen readers read the tags in the order they are listed in the tag panel or do I need to go by what I see in the reading order panel, which is different.
>
>
>
> Dana Tallon
> > Oklahoma Department of Rehabilitation Services Public Information Manager
> 3535 N.W. 58th Street, Ste. 500 Oklahoma City, OK 73112
> Office: 405.951.3402 | Toll Free: 800.845.8476 | www.okdrs.gov
>
>
> The contents of this electronic message, including attachments, are transmitted by the Oklahoma Department of Rehabilitation Services, an Oklahoma government entity. This message is intended for use by the named addressee only and may contain information that is confidential or private according to state or federal laws. The views and opinions expressed herein are the sender's and may not reflect the official position of OKDRS. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender by a&quot;reply to sender only&quot; message, delete it completely from your computer and maintain confidentiality of the message. Any unauthorized disclosure, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is prohibited and subjects the user to penalty of law.
> > essages to <EMAIL REMOVED>
>
>
>
>
> > essages to <EMAIL REMOVED>
>
>
> > > >