WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Regarding the project: To Make the Web Freely Accessible for All.

for

Date: Apr 11, 2012 6:40PM

Hi,
I'm currently working on a project that I'd like to share here if it's of interest. To be on the safe side though, I asked Jared if this would be alright to post here, I don't wish to annoy anyone.

As you probably already know, I've been working on AccDC since about 2009. For those who don't know what that is, AccDC is an API that accelerates dynamic behaviors while automating accessibility, allowing developers to incorporate performance enhanced processes within their web technologies, without requiring them to know how Assistive Technologies work to make their applications automatically accessible for disabled Assistive Technology users.

My hope is to revolutionize the development of automatically accessible web technologies around the world, which would positively impact the lives of hundreds of millions of people using virtual technologies.

This would also save hundreds of millions for businesses and organizations in the future by incorporating automatic accessibility within their software, in both public and private sectors in all countries.

To clarify, AccDC is not a reactive solution, such as software that retrofits pre-existing web technologies to enable accessibility, but rather, it is a proactive one, that allows businesses, organizations, and universities to incorporate automatic accessibility as a platform for emerging technologies. Still, AccDC can be included within pre-existing web technologies just as easily, whether as a standalone API, or by plugging it into the functionality of any JavaScript framework or library, such as jQuery, YUI, Ext JS, Dojo, or any other to enhance functionality.

This is where it will positively impact hundreds of millions of web technology users and save hundreds of millions for international companies and organizations, since it won't simply affect disabled Assistive Technology users, but rather, it will make web technologies work more reliably for everyone. And there are billions of web technology users worldwide, and these numbers are growing every day as web access continues to spread.

To get this going, I've started the Kickstarter project at:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bgaraventa/accdc-the-accelerated-dynamic-content-api?ref=email

Basically, I need to reach the project goal to finance the next two years of development plus the writing, publication, and distribution of the book in both print and electronic formats, and to reach out to businesses, organizations, and universities around the world. Otherwise, this won't be possible.

If successful, the AccDC cloud service will be reprogrammed as a client side module and made available as a free download from WhatSock.com by July 2012, and the book will be published and distributed by the end of 2013. There's a lot more info on the Kickstarter page about the project if that helps.

So, if there's anything you can do to assist the project,
it would help immensely to significantly improve the accessibility and usability of all current and future web technologies for everyone.

Kind regards,
Bryan Garaventa