E-mail List Archives

Re: Headings and WCAG2 compliance (1.3.1) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

for

Date: Apr 16, 2012 7:08PM

Jared,

On Apr 16, 2012, at 8:50 PM, Jared Smith wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Miller, Steve MR 1 wrote:
>
>> Could someone please advise whether a page containing two <h1> tags is WCAG2 compliant?
>
> There is no requirement in WCAG 2.0 that a page have only one <h1>. In
> fact, there's no requirement in WCAG that a page have a logical
> heading structure at all. A page generally must have headings to
> identify sections, but there's nothing that requires them to be of an
> appropriate level.

Can you explain this claim? I've read Success Criterion 1.3.1 about 50 times in the last three weeks trying to answer this question.

I get that the authors of WCAG 2.0 take the view that 1.3.1 does not require appropriate heading levels. What I don't understand (maybe I'm just dumb) is how the actual TEXT of 1.3.1 supports this view. Secondarily, I don't understand why ignoring heading levels would be acceptable any more than would reading a nested list as if it wasn't nested (which everyone agrees is a no-no).

Two questions...

- If "structure and relationships" are to be "programmatically determined" how can this occur in the case of content in which heading levels don't reflect the document's actual structure?

- Let's say we have some content that IS appropriately structured. Can a user agent that understands headings but ignores levels still comply with WCAG 2.0?

Best regards,

Duff Johnson

President, NetCentric US
ISO 32000 Intl. Project Co-Leader, US Chair
ISO 14289 US Chair
PDF Association Vice-Chair

Office: +1 617 401 8140
Mobile: +1 617 283 4226
<EMAIL REMOVED>
www.net-centric.com

This e-mail message is confidential, may be privileged and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s). Any other person is strictly prohibited from disclosing, distributing or reproducing it. If the addressee(s) cannot be reached or is unknown to you, please inform the sender by return e-mail immediately and delete this e-mail message and destroy all copies.