WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: PDF Remediation Tools

for

Date: Feb 17, 2013 9:43AM

Denis, I haven't worked with Acrobat XI for long, but I have not yet needed to use PAC since I converted to it. And I have noticed that the Acrobat's explanations of the errors and the methods for fixing them have improved significantly. Still, I do find PAC's interface and instructions easier for people new to analyzing the accessibility of PDFs to follow.

Of course, if you're relying on Microsoft Office's "Save As PDF" feature to create your PDFs because you don't have access to Acrobat (it's actually better than Acrobat 9; it's as good as Acrobat X and later), then PAC is an excellent option for verifying the accessibility of a PDF. (I haven't yet tested it against Microsoft Word 2010's accessibility checker.)

And, unfortunately for those of us who use Macs, PAC is available only for the Windows operating system.

Birkir, I don't specifically remember having problems remediating forms with PAC, but I don't specifically remember using it to check any, either. Until I can test further, I'll not speculate. Thanks for the reminder to specifically check that out.

Regards,

Cliff